Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bzooz1
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

different tape behavior after upgrade to 4a

Post by bzooz1 »

A new media set gets created now every time we run our tape plans. Original case# 0358332 (spin-off case# for GFS information). For various reasons, we are not looking to move to GFS right now because we don't have an adequate supply of tapes. Here is how it is behaving: we run a full disk backup plan on Fridays. The corresponding tape plan will then correctly copy the vbk and create a new media set. Then on Tuesday, the tape plan will copy Monday's vib but create a new media set, thus deleting the vbk on the tape. Wed, the tape plan will create a new media set, and thus copy the original Friday vbk, and the vibs for Monday, and Tues, etc. Before the upgrade, the tape plan would just copy over the latest vib. Thanks.
bzooz1
Enthusiast

Re: different tape behavior after upgrade to 4a

Post by bzooz1 »

I just spoke to support again on the case, and they said that my installation was probably not working correctly before the update (media set not being created after inserting a different tape), and now it is. In other words, a new media set should be created whenever a different tape is inserted. I would like this verified however, because we will now have to change the way we do our tape plans.

Our setup:

We have two tape plans, 1st & 2nd. 1 tape drive. We do fulls on Friday, and each tape plan copies over 1 vbk. I will insert 1st tape plan tape to copy the corresponding vbk. I will then insert the 2nd tape plan tape to copy that vbk. On Tues, I'll insert the 1st tape plan tape to copy Monday vib, then insert the 2nd tape plan tape to copy that vib. So, I am manually switching tapes. So is this correct that Veeam is creating a new media set every time? I was just lucky before I guess!

If I had a second tape drive, could I leave both tapes inserted, thus resulting in no new media sets being created for those 2 tapes during the week?
bzooz1
Enthusiast

Re: different tape behavior after upgrade to 4a

Post by bzooz1 »

I was just informed by support that this is a new known issue for stand-alone drives. All i have to do to prevent new media set creation is to Inventory the tape before writing data to it. This will be fixed in update 5. Thanks.