Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Disable Synthetic full days.months to tape?

Post by aaron@ARB »

Hi,

I have just been caught out by the default tape option to write a synthetic full to tape on saturdays after altering my schedules to write an incremental on saturday night. I have no interest in doing synthetic fulls to tape as I manually manage this as in i write active fulls each week and have incrementals for each day. I tried to disable the function however when you unselect all the days or weeks etc the OK button is greyed out.

Will veeam get upset if i tell it to ONLY run on the 31st of February each year like I have just set? Of course given this date never exists, it should never run.

Suggestion for a future version... allow the use to disable this? Often we know what we want more so than the software does :)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Disable Synthetic full days.months to tape?

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Aaron,

The virtual full is enabled automatically if the source job produces the forever forward incremental backup chain and can not be switched off.
However, if the source job configuration has scheduled active full backups, the virtual full will be disabled automatically even if configured in the tape job.

Thanks
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Ahhh okay I am just a victim of circumstance as I don't have active fulls configured as we cycle tapes weekly to get the tapes to write a full backup each week which having discussed previously never seemed to be able to be able to work.

thats okay, as long as you dont see an issue with the 31st of Feb, i'll leave it the way i have it setup.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hmm, can't you enable weekly active full backups for your source backup job and let tape jobs process "the latest chain only"? Given you're on v9 Update 1, the said combination should answer your requirements. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I`m also curious what was the point of performing an active full manually instead of scheduling it?
Thanks!
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Shestakov wrote:I`m also curious what was the point of performing an active full manually instead of scheduling it?
Thanks!
Hi, Because there is no differentiation between full and incremental cycle times. No where I have worked has the same time been appropriate for both backup types.

I wrote myself a powershell based scheduler that gives me the flexibility to do a few custom things like that etc.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

So the goal is to start full earlier because it`s going to take longer?
I see your point. We have that feature in our roadmap. Thanks for the feedback!
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Shestakov wrote:So the goal is to start full earlier because it`s going to take longer?
I see your point. We have that feature in our roadmap. Thanks for the feedback!
Exactly, active full is 13 hours, incremental is 3 :), makes a different to when things can run