Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
JHR
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie Rowe

Disk > Tape & Media Sets ... Help!

Post by JHR »

Hello folks,

A common "I'm coming from Backup Exec" type question headed this way I am sure.

So we have a number of to disk reverse-incremental backups which we run daily. At the moment we are looking to add a second stage where these get copied to tape (My understanding being if we use reverse-incremental we will always be copying a full backup to tape)

We have an auto loader for this purpose and are looking to do this once a week. We would then set a 3 week retention on those tapes so they don't get accidentally overwritten if left in the loader.

What ideally I'd like is a media pool called "Weekly Tapes" with four media sets (Effectively 4 sets of 10 tapes which we will bung into the loader weekly to do this backup) however I can't see a way to create these media sets up front without making them automatically which would generate me god knows how many backup sets over the time this thing would run.

I assume what I am trying to do is not possible; that said I could be wrong so:

1) If it is possible what am I doing wrong?
2) If it isn't possible how could I achieve the above in Veeam?

Thanks all,

J
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Disk > Tape & Media Sets ... Help!

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
My understanding being if we use reverse-incremental we will always be copying a full backup to tape
that's correct

Not sure how it works in Backup Exec, but I guess you want to use "create new media set for every backup session" and set the retention on the media pool to "3 weeks"

It's an automated process in Veeam - not need to do that manually.

Best regards,
Hannes