Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
fkckbrown
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle Brown

Double Encryption?

Post by fkckbrown »

I have an interesting question I am hoping someone can help me with. We need to encrypt are backups, I have encryption setup at the job level for when it does the full and incremental backups and I also set it up with the GFS Media Pool I setup for Tape backups. I am not sure if the first back up encryption is carried over to the tapes or if it gets decrypted before writing to the tape. The question I have is will the data to tape be double encrypted, and if so what problems might I have?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Double Encryption?

Post by Dima P. »

Yup, looks like you are encrypting backups and then encrypting tape media. The best practice so far was using a hardware encryption for tape jobs (check if that’s supported by your tape device)
fkckbrown
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle Brown

Post by fkckbrown »

Alright, that is what we thought. I wasn't sure if Veeam would decrypt the backup job before sending it to the secondary job or just copied it as it was.

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Nope, as Dmitry's said already, in this case you'd get data encrypted twice by software and hardware means. So, should restoration need occur, you'd decrypt a media first (hardware) and then data stored on it (software).

Usage of single option sounds like the best choice in order to avoid unneeded complexity.

Thanks.