Double Encryption?

Everything about backing up to tape

Double Encryption?

Veeam Logoby fkckbrown » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:30 pm

I have an interesting question I am hoping someone can help me with. We need to encrypt are backups, I have encryption setup at the job level for when it does the full and incremental backups and I also set it up with the GFS Media Pool I setup for Tape backups. I am not sure if the first back up encryption is carried over to the tapes or if it gets decrypted before writing to the tape. The question I have is will the data to tape be double encrypted, and if so what problems might I have?
fkckbrown
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle Brown

Re: Double Encryption?

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:28 pm

Yup, looks like you are encrypting backups and then encrypting tape media. The best practice so far was using a hardware encryption for tape jobs (check if that’s supported by your tape device)
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 441 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby fkckbrown » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Alright, that is what we thought. I wasn't sure if Veeam would decrypt the backup job before sending it to the secondary job or just copied it as it was.

Thank you.
fkckbrown
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle Brown

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:39 am

Nope, as Dmitry's said already, in this case you'd get data encrypted twice by software and hardware means. So, should restoration need occur, you'd decrypt a media first (hardware) and then data stored on it (software).

Usage of single option sounds like the best choice in order to avoid unneeded complexity.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 974 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Tape