Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
StrangeWill
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: William Roush

Encrypted Tapes And Multithreaded Performance

Post by StrangeWill »

A discussion born from issue #00730626.

Right now we use Dell's Encryption Key Manager, man is that thing a pain (I had an issue I thought was Veeam when Dell EKM was just silently on the fritz). Using Veeam's built in encryption would be nice, but I fall into two issues:

1) I can't do compression before encryption when it goes to the tape, meaning further compression will not work and my backup sizes will bloat. Only solution right now is to compress on disk to disk backup (I'd rather not, our SAN does compression).

2) Encryption rates are averaging 40MB/s, burying a single core on the tape library server (other 7 cores doing nothing), when I go with the onboard Dell Encryption Key Manager I'm getting 75+MB/s. Are there plans to make this more performant?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Encrypted Tapes And Multithreaded Performance

Post by Dima P. »

Hello William,
Unfortunately cant open you case details now, but will do tomorrow.
Only solution right now is to compress on disk to disk backup (I'd rather not, our SAN does compression).
Is it possible for you to compare the compression rates of you NAS and default compression level in the backup job?
2) Encryption rates are averaging 40MB/s, burying a single core on the tape library server (other 7 cores doing nothing)
I guess support team has already advised to install the patch 1, but wanted to double-check with you.