Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

Encryption keys for tape

Post by TaylorB »

I have Veeam tape encryption enabled with a password. If I have a media pool with a bunch of tapes already written, and I change that encryption password, will the already written tapes be restorable with the new password? Or do I need to make sure to remember both old and new passwords to be able to restore from old and new tapes? How will Veeam manage the restore from tapes written with old encryption password after the change? What if I have to restore to a new server after a disaster, etc?

Any clarification on how this works would be helpful for DR and password policy planning.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2293 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Encryption keys for tape

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Taylor

When you change an encryption password, then it will only be used for new tapes and cannot be used for already written tapes to decrypt the data.
You need to keep the old password on a secure Location, if you ever want to restore the previous tapes with a new vbr server.

If you want to restore data with the vbr server which has written the tapes, the passwords doesn‘t have to be provided, because the vbr server has the password already in the configuration database. If not, provide the correct password. I‘m not entire sure about that part if the password must be provided or not on the original server. It must be definitely provided on another vbr server.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software