Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

Error Tape manually de-mounted

Post by agrob »

Good Day

I have seen a more or less similar older Post from 2018, but because we are on the lastest 9.5 U4b version, i opened a new thread

Situation is as following:
External Ultrium 7 Tape connected to Server.
Tape is inserted
Tape job does successfully write to tape
now user is replacing the tape (job is not configured to unload tape - user is pressing the eject button in front of the tape)
new job is starting and does abort with the following error:

19.12.2019 09:06:31 Error TapeDrive alert: The operation has failed because the tape cartridge was manually de-mounted while the tape drive was actively writing or reading..

Then i do a manually inventory. after this, the tape job is running fine.

For me it seems that veeam has problem if the tape is manually removed by the user. then a inventory is needed. if no inventory is done, the tape job failes. it looks like veeam does not recoginze that a new tape was inserted

As a workarround i wanted to use a prejob script which does inventory the drive but if i run the powershell command Start-VBRTapeInventory -Library "HP Ultrium 7-SCSI" i get the same error. if i run the same command again, inventory does work.

is this still a bug in the version 4b?

thanks
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Re: Error Tape manually de-mounted

Post by lyapkost »

Hi Andre. This issue is fixed in the upcoming v10. For now both manual and pre-job script initialized inventory are valid workarounds. ps1-script example:

Code: Select all

Add-PSSnapIn "VeeamPSSnapIn"
Get-VBRTapeLibrary -Name "HP Ultrium 7-SCSI" | Start-VBRTapeInventory
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

Re: Error Tape manually de-mounted

Post by agrob »

Thanks for your answer and the information. good to know that it will be fixed in V10.
I have to start the inventory twice. firt time after replacing the media, the command failes, then i have to start it again and then it works. I made a script that does start the tapeinventory twice. this seems to work.