Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
fernando.ribeira
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Fernando Ribeira

Error when viewing the files recorded on the tape

Post by fernando.ribeira »

Sorry for bad English, I'm using Google Translate here...

Veeam Backup & Replication version 9.5 Update 4, Enterprise version, EXPIRED technical support, SQL Server version 2012.

Physical server, Intel Xeon E5-2609, 32GB RAM, Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, only Veeam services / database on this server.

Error when querying data recorded on a tape, timeout in SQL Server, image below:

The size of the database is around 50GB, some "File to tape Backup" jobs were recorded with many files, this increased the size of the database too much.

We moved the database to another server to perform tests and the behavior was the same, error.

Any suggestions to solve this problem?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Error when viewing the files recorded on the tape

Post by PetrM »

Hi Fernando,

There are many different reasons which can result in this error message. The best action plan would to be renew a support contract and contact our support team to determine the root cause. You probably could dig deeper into SQL server performance, for example some of these tools might be helpful.

Thanks!
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Just a small note, MS SQL 2012 is very unoptimized. I understand likely you've not upgraded as M$ wants to change your license, but almost certainly it's a 2012 fault where some operation is taking far longer than the client timeout.

The mods can edit this if this reg value isn't valid, but Support once gave one of my clients the following reg value for the client timeout:

SqlStatementTimeout

It's a DWORD in decimal, and you can increase this basically indefinitely; remember that with SQL there's no such thing as a SQL timeout, the client should just "reasonably" timeout if a given operation takes too long.

Give it a shot, increase the decimal value as high as you like, and see if it helps.
fernando.ribeira
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Fernando Ribeira

Post by fernando.ribeira »

PetrM wrote: Mar 29, 2021 2:41 pm Hi Fernando,

There are many different reasons which can result in this error message. The best action plan would to be renew a support contract and contact our support team to determine the root cause. You probably could dig deeper into SQL server performance, for example some of these tools might be helpful.

Thanks!
Unfortunately the customer chose not to renew technical support.
soncscy wrote: Mar 29, 2021 9:33 pm Just a small note, MS SQL 2012 is very unoptimized. I understand likely you've not upgraded as M$ wants to change your license, but almost certainly it's a 2012 fault where some operation is taking far longer than the client timeout.

The mods can edit this if this reg value isn't valid, but Support once gave one of my clients the following reg value for the client timeout:

SqlStatementTimeout

It's a DWORD in decimal, and you can increase this basically indefinitely; remember that with SQL there's no such thing as a SQL timeout, the client should just "reasonably" timeout if a given operation takes too long.

Give it a shot, increase the decimal value as high as you like, and see if it helps.
In laboratory tests I used the 2016 version of SQL Server, the behavior was the same.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Please note, that default value of SqlStatementTimeout key is 180(seconds), and having that said, if you get timeout error:
- you have serious SQL server performance issues to troubleshoot. Maybe on both SQL servers used...
- database itself is crippled in some shape or form, which can only be solved with support team