Failed to Unload Tape..

Everything about backing up to tape

Failed to Unload Tape..

Veeam Logoby saxie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:40 am

Hi All,

My Client's Tape job fails with:
'Failed to unload tape: tape AZP341L5 requires return to original slot 47, but it is already filled. Move tape manually.'

any idea how to solve this? I get it from time to time and I'm pretty sure its something I'm doing wrong somewhere. I'm using a HP Library wit hthree drives and a number of media pools. Eject Tape once the job finished is enabled and 'create a new media set per backup session' is also set on the media pools

i'm thinking that they are possibly inserting tapes into the library slots while there are still jobs running or while there is still a tape in the drive(s). If thats the case, how does one make sure to only put tapes into the slots that are actually empty (as opposed to empty but that slot's tape is in a drive)?

Thanks

W
saxie
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Werner Butterworth

Re: Failed to Unload Tape..

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:49 am

Hi, Werner,

The "Eject tape” option doesn’t pull out a cassette from a library, but rather places it into a certain slot. So, it seems that, once finished, a given tape job is trying to automatically place a tape into a slot that is already occupied by a tape placed there by different tape job. As the result, you see the corresponding message.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby saxie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:28 am

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know this is why I'm getting the error. I understand the eject function also :).

The way I see it this happens in one of two ways:
1. The user is inserting tapes into the library slots manually while a tape is still in a drive. When this tape is eventually ejected (job finishes) its slot is already occupied and it complains. Quesiton: How does the user know which slots he may use?
2. A tape job finishes and ejects the tape to a slot that is 'owned' by another tape that is still in another drive. Question: why would veeam allow a tape to be ejected to a slot that belongs to another tape that is still online in th elibrary/drives somewhere.

So, to rephrase. I would like to know if there is a way to see if an empty slot is owned by a tape that is currently in one of the drives of the library so that I do not accidentally put a tape in that slot when filling the library.

Thanks!
saxie
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Currently, there is no way you can prevent yourself from having this error in cases when someone decides to interact with library via library actual interface (inject/eject cassettes manually, etc.).

However, it will be appreciated if you open a ticket with our support team and provide them with required logs, as QA team is interested in this case. More specifically, they want to see whether this issue was caused only by manual intervention (i.e. user inserting cassette) or overlapping tape jobs were also involved.

Once the corresponding ticket is open, kindly, post its number here.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby saxie » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:49 am

Veeam Support - Case # 00480572
saxie
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:33 am

Thank you for providing your ticket number. I've already passed this information to QA team.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Hevros » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:27 am

Hi,

I also have this issue where tapes are manually changed in a library and the slot in use by the job is filled then it fails to return the tape.
Other software (Arcserve) solves this by just putting the tape in another empty slot. can this be implemented by Veeam?
Hevros
Service Provider

Full Name: Stephen Seagrave

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi, Stephen, for now the manual operations with the cassettes conducted via Library interface are "transparent" for backup server. In other words, VB&R management server isn't aware of these activities. As the result, you're experiencing the said issue.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback; much appreciated.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby nterreault » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:09 pm

I have similar problem, but it is happening when i insert tape. If i dont put the tape in the correct slot i get the error
Job started at 2013-12-12 10:59:17
2013-12-12 10:59:20 Error Failed to eject tape XXX Error: Tape XXX requires return to original slot 6, but it is already filled. Move tape manually, and retry operation.
I need to reshuffle the tape in the correct slot. Its really a pain and annoying

Nicholas
nterreault
Influencer

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:47 pm

Nicholas,
Any chance you are using blind library without barcode reader or standalone drive? Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby nterreault » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Im using a library but not using the barcode ? Thanks for asking ?

Any idea ?
nterreault
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Nicholas,

Could you, please, run a test with barcode reader enabled in your library? Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby nterreault » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:01 pm

It was enable, i disable it to test, doesnt change anything.

Thanks,

Nicholas
nterreault
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:50 pm

Nicholas,
Thank you for the heads up! I will let our QA know about the results, meanwhile could you, please, open a support case? Also do not forget to post case ID to this thread so we could track it. Thank you once again.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby dave-g » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 am

I am getting the same issue with a Quantum superloader if a job starts and a tape has been put into the slot Veeam was expecting to use.
24/01/2014 05:32:09 :: Failed to unload tape: tape Tape 15 requires return to original slot 2, but it is already filled. Move tape manually.
The job states that the actual steps of the job have completed successfully and then tags this warning line on the end of the job.
I would expect Veeam to recognise that there were empty slots available and use them accordingly.
dave-g
Lurker

Full Name: David Green

Next

Return to Tape