Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
TimLawhead
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Tim Lawhead

Feature Request - Add the ability to migrate tapes from Offline library to replacement

Post by TimLawhead »

I had the robotics in a MSL2024 Library fail. HPE Support just sent a replacement library and I moved my existing drives over to it.

The effort required to keep tabs on which ones I've brought over in a spreadsheet because Veeam isn't updating the Offline Library and removing the expired tapes pulled from the vault and used in the replacement library would be greatly simplified if we could just tell Veeam, hey this Offline Library with tapes in it... move the tapes to the replacement library that is Online under the same Media Pools.

No requirement of scanning the tapes from my vault in the new replacement library and it thinking they are duplicate tapes, no re-inventorying of tapes, no having to track in a spreadsheet which of the tapes are expired in the old library so I can use them in the new library until I've gone through all 155 tapes and can then finally remove the Offline Library.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Feature Request - Add the ability to migrate tapes from Offline library to replacement

Post by soncscy »

Hey Tim,

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

This has served my clients well in the exact same scenarios and does exactly what you're asking.

Did it not work for you?
TimLawhead
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Tim Lawhead

Re: Feature Request - Add the ability to migrate tapes from Offline library to replacement

Post by TimLawhead »

No where in that documentation do I see it reference what happens to the tapes in the media pool when I remove the offline library that they are tied to, and I don't see a way to move them over from the VBR console. It looks like you're supposed to just scan every tape as you go.

However, I have a safe full of tapes and I don't want to lose which ones are missing till I manually have to scan everything in.

If I have to do a restore from them... am I required to scan every tape from the removed tape library till I find the backup I need?
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Nope, it just works.

This should preserve the tape catalog entirely and avoid needing to recatalog. As I get it, basically this just "swings" the tapes to the new library.