Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
einhirn
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times

Feature request: Changes to "Statistics" on Tape jobs.

Post by einhirn »

Hello,

I already discussed this with support in case # 02385514, but they said this was a feature request to be posted in the forum, not an issue for technical support.

The log output in the "right-click->Statistics" Window of a job is often confusing. Since I don't know the details of the logging code, I can't say that it _is_ broken, but sometimes it feels broken to me. I've annotated a log window which shows the main issues I have:

For completeness and searchability I'll add the annotations I made to the image here:

- Please add timestamps. Right now I have to copy&paste the messages to an editor to see the timestamps.
- Which tape has the problem? Perhaps it might be TUC002L4 but that's just guesswork... The failure message should list Tape and Drive the issue occured on.
- Why are there messages logged after "Processing finished". Confusing. Also the "Drive locked" message always alternating between two drives with the same tapes is log spam at best.

If you could change the logging mechanism so it would log messages a little more "in order" (eg. a message saying "processing started at 08:00" logged at 15:10 is a bit strange, I think) and tell us operators which tape had the issue you're reporting, you'll make our lives easier and save us (and the tech-support) some time...

Thanks for your consideration.

bye
Einhirn
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request: Changes to "Statistics" on Tape jobs.

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Einhirn,

Thanks a lot for sharing your feedback. I completely agree with every single point you made and will discuss the proposed enhancements with our tape team. Thank you for your time!
BartP
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Bart Pellegrino

Re: Feature request: Changes to "Statistics" on Tape jobs.

Post by BartP »

I very much support this request.

Currently i'm trying to solve a Tape Job 'challenge' for a CU who is set on his 4-3-2-1 strategy and the current reports and log files could use some more info.
4 Copies of his data
3 different media types
2 are stored of site
1 has an air gap
So far the "gently nudge to 3-2-1" tactic didn't work :)
Bart Pellegrino,
Technical Account Manager - EMEA