Feature Request: Error reporting with bad tapes or drives

Discussions specific to tape backups

Feature Request: Error reporting with bad tapes or drives

Veeam Logoby einhirn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:51 am

Hello,

of course it shouldn't happen, but from time to time a tape goes bad.

Current behavior:
Veeam doesn't help much with Identifying the bad tape - a tape job just fails and there are multiple possible errors all pointing to some bad tape. But since I've got up to 5 Tape drives per job, and the job might already have used a lot more than 5 tapes when the error happens, I don't see which tape in which drive is causing the problem.

Proposed behavior:
When an error happens, output a message showing which tapes were in which drive at that time. Optimally the error message should identify which drive was responsible for causing the error: I suppose that there are multiple threads running, at least one for each tape drive. One of those threads reports a fatal error of any kind, just have it say "I was responsible for tape drive X, and at that time I was working on Tape Y"...

Thanks for your consideration.
bye
Christian
einhirn
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times

Re: Feature Request: Error reporting with bad tapes or drive

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:08 pm

Hello Christian,

Thanks for sharing your feedback! I believe we should mark the bad tape as retired and move it to the expired media pool automatically. You are saying that this is not working in your case?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 482 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: Error reporting with bad tapes or drive

Veeam Logoby einhirn » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:57 am

No, those tapes aren't retired automatically. The way I understand "retired media pool" is, that a tape goes there when there's an error message from the tape drive. But that obviously isn't the case when there (maybe) was a soft "write error", a "tape positioning" error or something like that. It wreaks havoc with a tape job, but doesn't get the tape expired...

I think Veeam should tell the admin which tape and drive was part of the reason the job failed, even if it doesn't seem to be a tape or drive problem - maybe it's some kind of problem that's slowly growing to the point that indeed error messages will be issued and tapes be retired. Maybe there's even something to do for the admin, which was better done earlier than later. My point is, make debugging of tape problems easier.
einhirn
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times

Return to Tape