Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

File to tape restore question

Post by vmtech123 »

I had a job with serious issues during my upgrade to 12 a long time ago. The job was recreated without issue and the previous backups are under (Orphaned)

Due to the size of this (about 50TB) I was hoping to get these to tape, and I tried but have a question.

If I do a file to tape job and manually add those files, everything goes to tape just fine. Before removing them I tested a restore, and restoring those backups to a repository, I am unable to do Application Aware restores. (Exchange Explorer)

Is there a way to make this happen, either restore using the exchange explorer, or move the orphaned backups to the new job that has been running and allow the retention to archive to tape?

Space is getting tight and this might buy me some time.

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: File to tape restore question

Post by Mildur »

Hello SP

You can start a FLR restore session from the backup files. From within the file restore explorer, start the application restore explorers:

The application item explorers will then use the C:\VeeamFLR mount point for mounting the databases in the restore point.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

Re: File to tape restore question

Post by vmtech123 »

I understand that, but I can't even open the explorer.

However, If lets set I create a File to Tape job, manually go to the repository and backup the VBK files to tape.

Next year I want one back. Sure, I can use the file browser, go select the file from the "Tape" area, and restore it to my repository.

Under files, If I navigate to the repository, locate the file and click "open" it treats like like a file and not a backup.
https://ibb.co/0s457Dy

Obviously open doesn't work and will give me "can't open from remote host, copy it locally or to a shared folder"

Is this not something supported? It's nice to be able to manually move VBK files to tape with a file to tape job when I run out of room, but I need to be able to restore them.