Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Find the tape(s) containing RPs?

Post by pkelly_sts »

One of our tape jobs has an ever growing number of RPs associated with it, currently up to 91 whereas the source backup job is configured with 21 RPs, plus up to 6/7 when it's about to create the latest active full.

41 of them (all incremental) are listed as a state of "Incomplete" on tape.

I know I can right-click on a tape & see what RPs are on it, but how can I do it the other way around, e.g. find which tape these errant RPs are supposedly contained on?

(Note we don't have Veeam One installed.)
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Re: Find the tape(s) containing RPs?

Post by pkelly_sts »

I think I've figured out what's happening and, to be fair, it's not really a usual case.

I think it's because, for this job, I have a Full and Incremental pool configured, but within the incremental pool I only have a single tape that I've been writing incrementals for quite some weeks (tape is now nearly full) so the oldest incremental files on that tape are now older than my oldest FULL backup on tape, hence the incrementals are, quite rightly, considered "incomplete" as their associated full backups are no longer around on disk or tape.

I'll need to give the job another (incremental) tape to chew on for a while...
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Paul,
find which tape these errant RPs are supposedly contained on?
In B&R go to Files node and check the file catalogue under tapes. You can right click the file (which will be a backup in the question) and go to properties, associated backup set and other information should be displayed there.

Another option might be to go to Backup & Replication node. In the inventory pane, select Tape under Backups, then in the working area right-click the backup and select Properties.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Ah, that will do nicely, must remember to watch for horizontal scroll-bars in some of these dialogs! ;-)

Thanks!