Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jlvandewalle
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jean-Louis Vandewalle

Get-VBRTapeMedium takes a long time to respond

Post by jlvandewalle »

Hi there,

I don't know if you already encountered the fact, but I noticed that some powershell commands related to tape a taking a long time to complete.

I'm working in a situation where I keep the monthly copy of my backups on tape for a year in case of.
I'm using as tape a VTL tape library and I have about 18.000 medium configured (of which only 500 in free pool).
Veeam B&R version running is 9.5u1.

When I issue the powershell commands Get-VBRTapeMedium or Get-VBRTapeMediaPool, they are taking about 200 seconds (yes, more than 3 minutes) to provide the list I request.

I opened a Case (ID 02155868) to find out why and it seams that the issue is the amount of Tape Medium defined in Veeam.
A test in our Lab (1000 media) took only 12 second to complete.
So the solution is to reduce the amount of active Tape medium in Veeam (remove from Catalog). But that will complicate the restore process.

The GUI is reacting correctly when I check the medium list. The problem is only seen in powershell.
It's not really impacting our work, as these are mostly used in batch processes (reporting, Veeam/VTL synchronization, ...) but it's annoying.

Does some of you already noticed this?

Regards

Jean-Louis