Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

GFS job using the wrong tape

Post by ekisner » 1 person likes this post

My GFS media pool presently has 14 tapes in it. 7 for this week's weekly backup, and 7 for this month's monthly backup - I'll import the tapes as they get loaded into the library.

The GFS tape job is scheduled for:
Weekly backups: Saturday
Monthly backups: Last Saturday of the month

The GFS media pool "GFS Media Set" Advanced options, for both weekly and monthly:
<all 7 tapes for each set are explicitly added to their respective categories>
"Add tapes from media pool automatically" is Disabled
"Append backup files to incomplete tapes" is Enabled
"Move all offline tapes into the following media vault:" is Disabled

When I run the job, the first thing it does is load a monthly tape. This is not the last Saturday of the month. What have I misconfigured?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: GFS job using the wrong tape

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Erik,

Glad to see the first user who finally went thru all the settings and options of the tape GFS – my congratulations. What name of the media set was given to the said tape, how long is the source backup chain and how this job was triggered? I assume it was a manual start, right?
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner » 1 person likes this post

Hah, well I must confess that I'd have posted a fair number more forum topics and support tickets if I didn't double-check everything as I was posting. Many occasions I've just closed the browser window after typing out a rant about why Veeam isn't doing such and such, only to find the option as I'm looking through one last time to say where I think it should be (and where I find it lol). Very glad most of those posts don't make it into the wild.

The media set on the tape is what it is defined in the GFS advanced options for the weekly set - "Weekly [date]". This is the correct media set. Just the wrong tape.
The source backup chain is a full tape backup of our entire environment, about 5TB after compression and the like
The behaviour is displayed both on automatic and on manual triggers. I was up late to watch the job start on Saturday night. I manually started the job this morning, and it did the same thing.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Fair. Need to ask you to open a separate case related to this issue, so I could forward it directly to QA team. Let me know the case ID please.
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner »

Support case 01667096 has been logged. Thank you Dmitry.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks Erik. Sharing with QA and DEV's.
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner »

Usually people speak up if they're having a similar issue, which it seems I'm the only one. In the event that I am not the only one, I'm posting a follow-up for others to see. Veeam support has identified the issue and are working on a fix. They have confirmed that it is not working as intended, and as of now will keep me in the loop.

We'll use our v8 tape jobs / media pools for this week.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

The issue has been confirmed. QA has requested a hotfix, so it should be available at support side soon. Additionally, the fix for the said issue will be included in the upcoming Update 1.