Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

GFS Media pool with daily incremental

Post by TaylorB »

Reading the user guide for V11, as well as the configuration screens, I am a bit confused to how Veeam handles daily incremental files for the GFS pool. I find multiple references saying, "If the source job creates an incremental backup, the GFS job synthesizes a virtual full backup." I definitely do not want to burn 20 tapes and 20 extra hours for a virtual full every night just to write an incremental backup, when it currently takes 2. Is this the case, or am I reading it wrong?

Honestly, I think it would be better if we could send incrementals to another regular short term pool and save the GFS buckets for the full backup files, as you do with jobs going to regular pools. I was disappointed to see that option removed when I chose a GFS pool as the target.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: GFS Media pool with daily incremental

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I definitely do not want to burn 20 tapes and 20 extra hours for a virtual full every night
agree and it's not required :-) Daily backups are incremental backups (see here)
Honestly, I think it would be better if we could send incrementals to another regular short term pool and save the GFS buckets for the full backup files, as you do with jobs going to regular pools. I was disappointed to see that option removed when I chose a GFS pool as the target.
I got lost here. If you like different media pools for everything, then classic media pools can be used. GFS media pools simplify things, but they are not mandatory.

Best regards,
Hannes