Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
leithm
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Leith Magon

GFS Schedule and VBK Map ID 01974454

Post by leithm »

Hi all,

I've spoken with support on this one but wasn't really able to get anywhere so putting it out to the community.

I've got a job backing up some file servers to disk that runs at 12:05am each day. It takes between 3-4hrs. Then I have a GFS schedule doing Weekly / Monthly backups to tape of this job.

This is the output I would normally get..

Occasionally this is happening.. (too frequently, results in the job spanning longer than the 24hr window before the disk job kicks off again)

Attempts to run at the scheduled time.. fails..

Then runs again once the disk backup has completed but it now decides its going to use a vbk map resulting in large backup file (twice the usual backup size) + twice the copy time

This all may be expected behavior in which case please explain to me how I can

1. Run a GFS job using reverse incremental backups without the above failing behavior occurring
2. Stop a disk job cancelling a tape job

Many thanks for any insights here
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: GFS Schedule and VBK Map ID 01974454

Post by Dima P. »

Hi leithm,

May I suggest to upgrade your VBR to latest v9.5? Firstly, most of the issues with GFS were fixed in this version. Secondly, there is an option to Prevent tape job from being interrupted by primary source backup job which may solve your case.