Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
digitalnetwork
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nicola Percacciante

GFS to Tape. Small Space on disk.

Post by digitalnetwork »

Good eventing,

I have this problem: I want to realize gfs backup policy, but I don't have enaugh space on disk repository to store all the restore points
I need in the gfs policy. I'd like to use tape archiving of the oldest restore points that I have to delete from disk to free up space.
I have created a backup copy job with gfs settings, and then linked to to a tape job, but I don't know how to make it work that when a
restore points have been written to tape, it can be deleted from disk repository to free more space.
For example, what I wanted to do is that older monthly backups are written on tape and deleted from disk.

Any idea on how to do that?
Is this kind of approach correct or did I completely mistaken the approach to the problem?
In case you need more info don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cristiano Balestri
Digital Network Srl.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: GFS to Tape. Small Space on disk.

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Nicola!

Could you specify your current disk-GFS retention policy? I`m interested in number of restore points for each type and if they have the same schedule.

Generally, I would make backup-to-tape job to keep more historical backups, like yearly and quarterly ones, while keep writing monthly and weekly on tapes.

By the way, here is a related topic explaining how to organize tape GFS on v8. Thanks!