Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
srdegeus
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Is there a guide/reference architecture on how to configure tape-out in Cloud Connect?

Post by srdegeus »

If I try to setup a Tape Job "Backups..." and add a Backup Repository, I get the error:

Code: Select all

Job with id "<guid>" was not found.
If I add from Backup Job, the list is empty. (Which I assume is normal as there are no Backup Jobs defined on Cloud Connect itself.)

I can create a file to tape job and select the files in the repository(s), but I would guess that this is not the way to implement this.

Is there a guide available somewhere that describes how to properly set this up? As the guide at https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/cloud/ does not have any information on how to implement tape-out either.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Is there a guide/reference architecture on how to configure tape-out in Cloud Connect?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi srdegeus.

Backup to tape jobs are not supported by Veeam Cloud Connect: as you mentioned Cloud Connect knows nothing about tenants jobs, so Backup to tape job cannot work in Cloud Connect environment. The only possible workaround would be to use File to tape job but it process backup files as a files, but keep in mind the potential problems with forever incremental backup chains: merge process will change the modification date of the full backup, so full backup is it's going to be processed by file to tape job every job run.
srdegeus
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Re: Is there a guide/reference architecture on how to configure tape-out in Cloud Connect?

Post by srdegeus »

I am a bit confused as a Veeam System Engineer we met last month was quite persistent that Cloud Connect has a tape-out.

It's also listed (announced?) in the press release from May 16, 2017
https://www.veeam.com/news/veeam-greatl ... cloud.html
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

srdegeus,
Cloud Connect has a tape-out.
Will have :wink:

This feature is planned, but it's not available in current versions of Veeam Cloud Connect.