Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sonicasuk
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: a

issue backup to tape

Post by sonicasuk »

Hi
i wonder if you can help.
when trying to backup from an msa to tape i recieve an error with one of the jobs.

the error is Storage {0} is locked by another session, skippingArguments:

does this mean that there is another veeam process writing to the same disk while the backup to tape is running.

if not can you give me an idea where i need to look..

many thanks

sonic
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: issue backup to tape

Post by veremin »

What are the files you’re trying to copy to tapes? Backup files or something different? Do see any other activity that uses them at the same time they are being copied to tape medias?

As for me, this problem seems to be related to the storage side, not to Veeam one. Though, you might want open a ticket and let our support team investigate it directly, since we haven’t seen this issue so far. Thanks.
sonicasuk
Enthusiast

Post by sonicasuk »

Hi Vladimir,
the files that are being backed up are the veeam jobs from previous days basically we have a number of locations where veeam makes the daily backups.

g:\backup\ monday
tuesday
Wednesday
etc etc.

each day the tape backup job runs and copies several of these folders refering to the day. so the wednesday backup will consist of 4 drives with a folder for each days veeam backup. then once a week we backup the directories to disk.

IS it possible that at the moment the tape job is running and veeam tries to do a normal backup that the storage becomes locked for the writing of new backups?

hope the explanation is clear if not then please let me know and ill try to explain it in another way.
kind regards
Sonic
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I don’t think that backup activity locks the whole directory to make its business. Though, you might want to temporarily disable backup jobs, execute tape jobs and see whether the issue shows up again.

If it doesn’t help, kindly, open a ticket with our support team and post your ticket number here, because we haven’t heard about similar issue before, and will be interested to understand the root cause of such behavior.

Thanks.
sonicasuk
Enthusiast

Post by sonicasuk »

as soon as the backups are ready ill give it a try and see what happens.

many thanks for the reponse.

kind regards
sonic
sonicasuk
Enthusiast

Post by sonicasuk »

have opened a support ticket.
Case # 00467820

regards
Sonic
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Thanks, Allan, for updating the topic with support ticket number.

As I can see from your case, the issue is still under investigation, and the root cause of this behavior hasn’t been determined so far. Hopefully, with recently-uploaded extra logs from both backup console and SQL server, support team will be able to finally resolve this problem.

Thank you for your patience.