job backup tape

Everything about backing up to tape

job backup tape

Veeam Logoby HussainMahfood » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:35 am

I created a job backup tape but it does not backup any thing. However auto loader is present in veeam with free 3 tapes that allocated in media set

I tried all type jobs such as files, repos and job backup types to tape. It start job, loading media and sayes 0 files backup :?

Note : I formatted tapes using veeam 7 as long erase to makes it available and ready still same issue

The repos size 3. 5 and I have 3 tapes each 1.4tb empty
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast

Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Hussain Mahfood

Re: job backup tape

Veeam Logoby HussainMahfood » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:08 am

I I tried to copy small folder same issue. It says completed successfully but with 0 files and folder
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:15 am

Hi, Hussain. There is a known issue, when the tape job reports “success”, meanwhile, doesn’t copy anything. The root cause is that the library/drive has become offline prior to the job execution. So, as a first investigation step, kindly, check whether you experience similar issue with offline library/drive.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby HussainMahfood » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 am

Hi,

Tape libaray is online before, during and after job run
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby HussainMahfood » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:29 am

The tape libaray is dell tl2000
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:03 am

Do you have any other tape software installed in your environment? What about drivers that are being used – are they ordinary Windows ones or more like specific ones? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby HussainMahfood » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks for the tip. Just checked the driver the media changer was IBM and tape drive is Symantec .

Just downloaded both from dell and replace both. Started the job and it is running now :D

Thanks for this great support
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:18 am

Yep, the presence of other tape software and usage of not default drivers are, by far, the most common cause of tape functionally issues. Glad to hear that now everything works as expected. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : 0 directories and 0 files backed up successfully?

Veeam Logoby rauer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:00 am

Hey there!

I do have a strange behaviour of the tape feature:

The last week, i successfully produced a full backup to our tape library.
The restore of those backup files was fine too. Pretty cool.

So, on Saturday there should be a new Job, to a new set of tapes.
So i changed the tapes in the autoloader, an added them to the media pool.

When the job starts, it mounts the tape, but the job finishes SUCCESSFULLY after 10 Seconds?

There are 5 Backups that get backuped to tape, and it is green, and says "successful" on all of them, with a Duration of 2 Seconds, an no data written and
"0 directories and 0 files backed up"

I tried to set up a new Job, with the same Settings, but the same Thing is Happening.

It says that everything is fine, but nothing is backed up?

Any thoughts on this? Do i have set up simething wrong within the job oder the media set?

Kind regards, Rafael
rauer
Novice

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Rafael A

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:42 am

Hi, Rafael.

As a first investigation step, kindly, check whether the corresponding library hadn’t got offline before the job was executed. Also, be sure not to use any other tape software and drivers expect for common Windows ones.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] 0 files backuped up succesful !

Veeam Logoby Cyril » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:04 pm

Hello

Backup tapes are not working properly.
the job is successful but 0 files 0 and 0 directories has backuped.
Others peoples have this problem because the driver are not correct on the tape drive.
My autoloader is a Tandberg StorageLoader LTO5 FC. I downloaded drivers from the site of Tandberg, it is well recognized by Veeam. However no files is saved.
Do you have any other ideas? Thank you for your help.
Cyril
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:09 pm

Another point to check is whether the library was online prior starting the job.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] : Backup copy job to tape not working as expected

Veeam Logoby RogerH » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:26 am

Hi

We have the following Setup with Veeam B&R 7 Enterprise Plus:

Mo - Fr: Active Full to ISCSI-Target, Restore Points to keep: 1, scheduled for 22:00
For each day we created a dedicated backup job.

For each of the active full jobs we've created its own backup copy job, which is supposed to copy the .vbk file to Tape.
Each copy job is linked to its corresponding backup job and scheduled to run after its daily active full has finished.

Here's the strange part, active full starts at 22:00 and finishes at around 00:40. About 5 seconds later, the corresponding copy backup job starts as scheduled and finishes a view seconds later as successfull, but nothing has been copied to tape (no files to copy).

However, when i manually start the copy job on the next morning, the files are copied to tape.

Could this be a timing issue or am i missing something here?

Regards
Roger
RogerH
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Roger Hungerbuehler

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:59 am

Hi, Roger. First of all, kindly, check the presence of the other tape software and/or vendor-specific tape drivers. Also, please, see whether the corresponding library hadn’t got offline before the job was executed.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby RogerH » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi Vladimir

There is no other Backup Software installed on the Veeam-Server (which is a physiscal Windows 2008 R2 Server).
This is a new/clean installation of Windows, the Tape-Drive is a HP LTO Ultrium 3 internal SAS Drive (Single Drive) withe the most current HP Driver installed.

The Tape was online and there was a free tape loaded, when the backup copy job startet.

Here's some more info on our setup:

When we first setup those jobs, we had to select the guests directly from the ESXi Server, since vcenter wasn't installed at the time.
Back we had one backup job executet successfully including a successful bcopy to tape.

Later we installed vcenter (on the same Server as Veeam is installed) and therefor had to change the selection of the virtual serves in the jobs, since we wanted them to be selected through vcenter rathen then directly from the esx server.

Additionally we run a powerhsell-based script 15 minutes, before each daily active full job starts, this script is inventoring the Tapedrive and then checks whether the tape currently loaded is marked as "unrecognized" or not. If the tape is marked "unrecognized", the tape will be erased.

Here's the script we use:

Code: Select all
Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapin
Start-VBRTapeInventory -Library "Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-3 drive"
Start-Sleep -s 30
$tape = Get-VBRTapeMedium | Where-Object {$_.IsBelongUnrecognizedMediaPool -like "True"}
Erase-VBRTapeMedium -Medium $tape -Confirm:$false -runasync

The reason for this is, that most of the tapes are allready formatted from Backup Exec (which we replaced with Veeam).

The script runs just fine.

Regards
Roger
RogerH
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Roger Hungerbuehler

Next

Return to Tape