Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Hussain Mahfood

job backup tape

Post by HussainMahfood »

I created a job backup tape but it does not backup any thing. However auto loader is present in veeam with free 3 tapes that allocated in media set

I tried all type jobs such as files, repos and job backup types to tape. It start job, loading media and sayes 0 files backup :?

Note : I formatted tapes using veeam 7 as long erase to makes it available and ready still same issue

The repos size 3. 5 and I have 3 tapes each 1.4tb empty
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast

Re: job backup tape

Post by HussainMahfood »

I I tried to copy small folder same issue. It says completed successfully but with 0 files and folder
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Hussain. There is a known issue, when the tape job reports “success”, meanwhile, doesn’t copy anything. The root cause is that the library/drive has become offline prior to the job execution. So, as a first investigation step, kindly, check whether you experience similar issue with offline library/drive.

Thanks.
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast

Post by HussainMahfood »

Hi,

Tape libaray is online before, during and after job run
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast

Post by HussainMahfood »

The tape libaray is dell tl2000
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Do you have any other tape software installed in your environment? What about drivers that are being used – are they ordinary Windows ones or more like specific ones? Thanks.
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast

Post by HussainMahfood »

Thanks for the tip. Just checked the driver the media changer was IBM and tape drive is Symantec .

Just downloaded both from dell and replace both. Started the job and it is running now :D

Thanks for this great support
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yep, the presence of other tape software and usage of not default drivers are, by far, the most common cause of tape functionally issues. Glad to hear that now everything works as expected. Thanks.
rauer
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Rafael A

[MERGED] : 0 directories and 0 files backed up successfully?

Post by rauer »

Hey there!

I do have a strange behaviour of the tape feature:

The last week, i successfully produced a full backup to our tape library.
The restore of those backup files was fine too. Pretty cool.

So, on Saturday there should be a new Job, to a new set of tapes.
So i changed the tapes in the autoloader, an added them to the media pool.

When the job starts, it mounts the tape, but the job finishes SUCCESSFULLY after 10 Seconds?

There are 5 Backups that get backuped to tape, and it is green, and says "successful" on all of them, with a Duration of 2 Seconds, an no data written and
"0 directories and 0 files backed up"

I tried to set up a new Job, with the same Settings, but the same Thing is Happening.

It says that everything is fine, but nothing is backed up?

Any thoughts on this? Do i have set up simething wrong within the job oder the media set?

Kind regards, Rafael
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Rafael.

As a first investigation step, kindly, check whether the corresponding library hadn’t got offline before the job was executed. Also, be sure not to use any other tape software and drivers expect for common Windows ones.

Thanks.
Cyril
Influencer
Liked: never

[MERGED] 0 files backuped up succesful !

Post by Cyril »

Hello

Backup tapes are not working properly.
the job is successful but 0 files 0 and 0 directories has backuped.
Others peoples have this problem because the driver are not correct on the tape drive.
My autoloader is a Tandberg StorageLoader LTO5 FC. I downloaded drivers from the site of Tandberg, it is well recognized by Veeam. However no files is saved.
Do you have any other ideas? Thank you for your help.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Another point to check is whether the library was online prior starting the job.
RogerH
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Roger Hungerbuehler

[MERGED] : Backup copy job to tape not working as expected

Post by RogerH »

Hi

We have the following Setup with Veeam B&R 7 Enterprise Plus:

Mo - Fr: Active Full to ISCSI-Target, Restore Points to keep: 1, scheduled for 22:00
For each day we created a dedicated backup job.

For each of the active full jobs we've created its own backup copy job, which is supposed to copy the .vbk file to Tape.
Each copy job is linked to its corresponding backup job and scheduled to run after its daily active full has finished.

Here's the strange part, active full starts at 22:00 and finishes at around 00:40. About 5 seconds later, the corresponding copy backup job starts as scheduled and finishes a view seconds later as successfull, but nothing has been copied to tape (no files to copy).

However, when i manually start the copy job on the next morning, the files are copied to tape.

Could this be a timing issue or am i missing something here?

Regards
Roger
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Roger. First of all, kindly, check the presence of the other tape software and/or vendor-specific tape drivers. Also, please, see whether the corresponding library hadn’t got offline before the job was executed.

Thanks.
RogerH
Influencer

Post by RogerH »

Hi Vladimir

There is no other Backup Software installed on the Veeam-Server (which is a physiscal Windows 2008 R2 Server).
This is a new/clean installation of Windows, the Tape-Drive is a HP LTO Ultrium 3 internal SAS Drive (Single Drive) withe the most current HP Driver installed.

The Tape was online and there was a free tape loaded, when the backup copy job startet.

Here's some more info on our setup:

When we first setup those jobs, we had to select the guests directly from the ESXi Server, since vcenter wasn't installed at the time.
Back we had one backup job executet successfully including a successful bcopy to tape.

Later we installed vcenter (on the same Server as Veeam is installed) and therefor had to change the selection of the virtual serves in the jobs, since we wanted them to be selected through vcenter rathen then directly from the esx server.

Additionally we run a powerhsell-based script 15 minutes, before each daily active full job starts, this script is inventoring the Tapedrive and then checks whether the tape currently loaded is marked as "unrecognized" or not. If the tape is marked "unrecognized", the tape will be erased.

Here's the script we use:

Code: Select all

Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapin
Start-VBRTapeInventory -Library "Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-3 drive"
Start-Sleep -s 30
$tape = Get-VBRTapeMedium | Where-Object {$_.IsBelongUnrecognizedMediaPool -like "True"}
Erase-VBRTapeMedium -Medium $tape -Confirm:$false -runasync
The reason for this is, that most of the tapes are allready formatted from Backup Exec (which we replaced with Veeam).

The script runs just fine.

Regards
Roger
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Providing that tape library hasn’t gone offline and that there are no specific drivers or other tape software installed, I’d suggest opening a ticket with our support team and letting them investigate it directly.

It will be also appreciated if you provide your ticket number here, so that, we will be able to follow the case and update the topic once the resolution is found.

Thanks.
RogerH
Influencer

Post by RogerH »

OK, i have opened a support case: Case # 00453976
As soon as i have new informations, i will post them here.

Regards
Roger
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Thanks, Roger, for coming back and updating the topic with the support case ID; much appreciated. Let’s wait and see what support team says about this issue.
RogerH
Influencer

Post by RogerH » 2 people like this post

Update:

A remote session with technical support dind'nt bring up any solution.

Anyway, i think i have solved it myself :-)

The only thing i hadn't tried so far, was to create a new media pool. So i did that and moved all the tapes from the old pool to the new one.
All the backup copy jobs that were startet since then, have completed successfully.

Regards
Roger
RogerH
Influencer

Post by RogerH »

Just to let you all know

The new Media Pool has solved my problem.

Regards
Roger