Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dspringer
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: David Springer

Labeling a Cleaning Tape

Post by dspringer »

Hi

We have a second site which also has a tape library in the form of an HP MSL2024. Lately, it has happened from time to time that a warning appears in the tape jobs "Changer alert: The library was unable to read the bar code on a cartridge...". I also have a ticket #06151627 open for this.

My strong assumption was that the Cleaning Tape is the reason. Because although the MSL2024 has barcode readers, there was none stuck on this tape. At least it was shown in the Veeam Mediapool as unregognized - but with the name "" (empty).

I asked the colleagues on site to stick a barcode on it, which they did. However, it is not a "CL****" sticker. Instead, a normal numbering, as with the other tapes. Now, however, there is of course no more "unrecognized". Do Cleaning Tapes necessarily have to have a CL barcode, or can I just mark this accordingly? Alternatively, move it to another media pool, since it is now listed between the normal monthly tapes.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Labeling a Cleaning Tape

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi David

Veeam reads the type of the tape from a memory chip on the tape itself. But that can only be read when the tape is inserted in to the drive.
Therefore cleaning Tapes should use the correct labels. If not, Veeam may identify them wrong:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

For cleaning tapes, please use a CLN****** barcode.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software