Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rputegnat
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Romain PUTEGNAT

LTO tape compabitility between VEEAM version

Post by rputegnat »

Hello,

We are updating our VEEAM version from V7 to V9.5. To achieve this, we're gonna install VEEAM V9.5 from scratch.
Is there some good practice if I want to use my "old" LTO tapes (with VEEAM V7) with my new backup server ? Will LTO backup be usable in VEEAM v9 ? And does the LTO will be able to join my backup planning without risk ?

I checked this page https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... erver.html but it's not totally clear if the another server can be with another VEEAM version.

Thank.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: LTO tape compabitility between VEEAM version

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Romain,
thanks for the questions.
Overall you can add the tape library to the new Backup & Replication Server and Veeam can use the tapes for restore.

But I suggest you go a bit further and backup the Veeam configuration (encryption enabled to save the passwords) and then restore the configuration on the new server. At the restore wizard you can select that you restore to a new server (new name). That way all informations about the tapes are preserved. (and as well other stuff is there as well).

The database is cleaned up in the background so no worries. The only option you need to do is that you update the actual version to compatible one for the update.