Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Media MetaData Tagging

Post by ekisner »

I'd love for the ability to tag a tape with metadata based on the tape job, allowing a tape to be tagged with a Month, Day, Year, etc.

So, said tape could be tagged with:
[April] (within job settings "tag %month%")
[2018] (within job settings "tag %year%")
[1/1/2018] (within job settings tag "%date%)
[5] (within job settings tag "%week_num%")
[April 2018] (within job settings "tag %month% %year%")
[B2D Job 1] (within job settings tag "%Underlying_Job%)
...you get the idea. Allow tags for pretty much any date or reference that would possibly be useful.

So, say I have tape 0002. It's a monthly tape in my GFS pool, and it has backup files from January as February which were created by a Backup To Disk job called "B2D Job 1". Within my job settings for monthly iterations I've told it to tag "%underlying_job%-%month%-%year%".

0002 has a location in slot 1, expires in Feb of 2019, etc, but now it has a new column with [B2D Job 1-January-2018],[B2D Job 1-February-2018].

Ideally, said column could filter based on any of the text in any of the tags (2018, January, January 2018, B2D Job 1).

The reason for this change is to counter the fact that the Media Set name is almost entirely useless. Beyond differentiating between weekly and monthly tapes, I've got absolutely no way to know which tapes are being used for which months. I can try to use the expiration, but even then it's a crapshoot when I need to look at 5 tapes in a sequence to find which one has the files I'm looking for.
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Re: Media MetaData Tagging

Post by ekisner »

Second example, assume that tape 0002 also has backup files (monthly as before) from Backup job "B2D Job 2" from February. Tape 0002's tags would then be [B2D Job 1-January-2018],[B2D Job 1-February-2018],[B2D Job 2-February-2018]