Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rlib
Lurker
Liked: never

Media set

Post by rlib »

Hi,

i was wondering why my tape job created a new meda set even so the "on these day" is not checked for the day :

My goal is to get a media set (that starts on the thursday) and will eventually be done by satursday / sunday.
so in my pool i will see only :

Media set Thursday 27 February
Media set Thursday 5 March
Media set Thursday 12 March
Media set Thursday 19 March

etc ...

Thank for your help !
rlib
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Media set

Post by rlib »

i looked at the doc : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... _sets.html

In some cases, Veeam forcibly starts a new media set, even if media pool settings do not instruct Veeam to do so. It happens when a job starts, but the tape that was planned for writing data cannot be used. In this situation, Veeam takes a new tape, and starts a new media set on it. For example, the situation may be as following:

The required tape is offline. If you bring such tape online before the tape job starts, it will be used as planned.

If the media pool is scheduled to export tapes. Exporting closes the current media set and starts a new one on the next job run.

The required tape is hardware or software protected.

In library failover on the following events: library is offline and all drives are busy. When a tape library is failed over on these events, Veeam Backup & Replication starts a new media set even if the global media pools are configured to always continue one media set.

Note that if a new media set is started, scheduled or forced, the previous media set cannot be resumed.

how can i prevent this to happen ?

thanks !
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Make sure that none of the described situation happens. Besides that there is no specific settings that control it. Thanks!
nathano
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Nathan Oldfield

Post by nathano »

When is your next job scheduled to run using that media pool after 6.30pm on Thursday?