Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jround
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Monthly backup, 6 month retention

Post by jround »

We would like a monthly tape backup of our full Veeam inventory (Veeam Scale Out) with a 6 month retention. In my head this would mean you could pick a restore date within the Veeam browser from any specific date within a 6 month period and restore to that point.

What I'm struggling to understand is the previous system admin set up the majority of jobs (to disk) as 'Daily forever forward incremental' with no period synthetic full backups or period active full backups, and restore points to disk only 14...so surely when the tape job runs it is only actually backing up 2 weeks (14 days) of every month rather than a true 'month'?

This may be down to previously the Veeam server and storage were of a lower specification and used Backup Exec rather than Veeam built in so we are just looking to do it properly now! :)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Monthly backup, 6 month retention

Post by Dima P. »

Hello jround,
What I'm struggling to understand is the previous system admin set up the majority of jobs (to disk) as 'Daily forever forward incremental' with no period synthetic full backups or period active full backups, and restore points to disk only 14...so surely when the tape job runs it is only actually backing up 2 weeks (14 days) of every month rather than a true 'month'?
You you can select the date when you want full backup to be created for forever forward incremental backup jobs and backup to tape will synthesize full backup at the set day. Would that work for your case? Cheers!