Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
stevehathaway
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Hathaway

Monthly backups to run on last day

Post by stevehathaway »

Firstly apologies if this has been answered before?
My client has the following tape backups

Media pools:
Mon-Thurs: Rotating using the same media every day (i.e. overwritten every night)
Fridays: Weekly Friday Media 1-4
Monthly: Monthly media

Requirements:

The Monday-Thursdays and Fridays are not a problem as there are no conflicts between the job schedules

The monthly job needs to run on the last day of the calendar month & ideally needs to usurp whatever job that would normally run. i.e. if the EOM fell on a Tuesday the normal mon-thur job will not run that night.

The current (9.5) monthly scheduler only allows the last named day ( last Tuesday/Wednesday etc.) or a given date (i.e 31st) to be selected. What is needed is a setting to run on the actual last day 28th On Feb, 31st on march etc..

Thanks in advance
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Monthly backups to run on last day

Post by veremin »

Have you thought about creating a GFS media pool and pointing backup to tape job to it? Within GFS media pool you can have different media sets (one per desired retention type: weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly). Also, you can make a backup to tape job pointed to such media pool to create required restore points on the last day of month.