Move offline tapes into vault - not working for GFS pools?

Everything about backing up to tape

Move offline tapes into vault - not working for GFS pools?

Veeam Logoby Moebius » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:02 am

In my GFS media pool (with only weekly sets enabled) I checked the "move all offline tapes into the following media vault" option.

The corresponding tape backup job does not export the tapes automatically; I export the tapes manually from the console, as my weekly set is made of 15 tapes, my library only has 3 I/O ports, the job ends some time in the night between Sunday and Monday, the operator can physically access the tape library on Wednesdays only, and I don't want the export job staying in the waiting state for days.

I thought that just after exporting the tapes they would automatically move to the vault I specified, but this does not happen.
Is that option only intended to work when the tapes are automatically exported by the tape backup job (and if so, why)?
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Re: Move offline tapes into vault - not working for GFS pool

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:30 am

Hi,

Is that option only intended to work when the tapes are automatically exported by the tape backup job
Correct.

(and if so, why)?
Otherwise if every time you exported a tape manually from a pool that had "move to vault" option preconfigured it would move it to a vault automatically, which might be not always desired by user. You can use post-job scripts in order to move offline tapes to a vault after job completion.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 246 times

Veeam Logoby Moebius » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:07 pm

Thank you.
PTide wrote:You can use post-job scripts in order to move offline tapes to a vault after job completion.

This is not applicable as a post-job script in this case, as the export takes place some days after the job has ended. But I got the message anyway.
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:13 pm

In this case, you can write and schedule (Task Scheduler) a simple script. The script will find all offline tapes and move them to a needed vault in accordance.

Something like this:

Code: Select all
Get-VBRTapeMedium | where {$_.location.type -eq "None"} | Move-VBRTapeMedium -Vault (Get-VBRTapeVault -Name "Name of your Vault")

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Tape