Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
MartinNZ
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marty Smallman

Moving Media to new media pool WITHOUT marking as FREE

Post by MartinNZ »

The scenario is we run the same tape archive to tape job every night and we rotate through our media pool sequentially. When the end of the month occurs we write the tape and then pull it from the library and this becomes our "End of Month" tape which retain indefinitely.

I wanted to create a seperate media pool called "Month End Tapes" and after the tape has been written, move it out of the "default" media pool and into the "End of Month" media pool so it's not cluttering up our default media pool when the tape is (hopefully) never going to be used again.

When I try to move it to the "End of Month" media pool Veeam wants to mark it as "Free" which I do not want. I simply want to move the tape as it is to the end of month media pool.

Can someone explain how to do this without marking the tape as free...

thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Moving Media to new media pool WITHOUT marking as FREE

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Marty,
What you are trying to achieve is GFS retention on tapes.
So you may be interested in just creating a GFS media pool with the desired retention and the monthly backups will be protected on tapes for as long as you want to.
Otherwise, in your current case you can protect tapes manually when you move the to another pool.
Thanks!
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: RH

Post by redhorse »

Shestakov wrote:Hello Marty,
What you are trying to achieve is GFS retention on tapes.
So you may be interested in just creating a GFS media pool with the desired retention and the monthly backups will be protected on tapes for as long as you want to.
Otherwise, in your current case you can protect tapes manually when you move the to another pool.
Thanks!
I have the same situation and I can't use GFS because I need the daily backup of incrementals. Would it be a way to move the tapes into a vault with protection enabled manually?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct. Though, it might be easier to use two tape jobs - daily and GFS ones. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Note that Tape GFS is available starting from v9.