Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jbuffard
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Julien Buffard

NDMP restore to another storage array

Post by jbuffard »

Hello,

First, a little bit of context.
Following the announcement of the version 9.5 U4 including NDMP backup, we have been studying the possibility to backup our storage array with Veeam.
In the mean time, we are also trying to replace our storage array, which is getting old.

While discussing the matter of NDMP backup, someone (in our company) mentionned he wasn't confident about our capability to restore data from a NDMP backup of our current storage array, to a new storage array, possibly from another manufacturer.
That person seemingly had had problems on a previous infrastructure (not related to Veeam B&R), where he wasn't able to restore a backup from one storage array to another, of different brands.

In theory, I believe NDMP is a standard protocol, and should not create these kind of troubles.
The problem is, as you put it in the user guide (and I believe it would be similar for other vendors), "The NDMP server performs its own backup consistency check for the NDMP volumes."
I suppose it means the storage array is repsonsible for what it gives Veeam B&R to backup, and to potentially restore, which is understandable.
The thing is, we don't want to be obligated to keep our current Netapp storage array, just for the sake of being able to restore, if needed, in 10 years.

So we are wondering if anyone experienced a similar trouble, of not being able to restore from one manufacturer to another ?
Or on the contrary, if anyone already restored from one manufacturer to another with NDMP backups, and had no problems at all with that ?

Thank you in advance for your reply.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: NDMP restore to another storage array

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello jbuffard,

Unfortunately it works that way. We tested cross server restores in our QA lab and can confirm that after backup was taken from one vendor NDMP and restored to another vendor NDMP data is not operational. The best you can do is to stick with the single vendor (as restores within the same vendor but different models works).
jbuffard
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Julien Buffard

Post by jbuffard »

Hello Dmitry,

Thank you very much for that straight answer, duly noted !
I am glad you guys tested that out.
As a side note, wouldn't it be a good idea to put that in the user guide ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Julien,

It's already noted under File Restore from Tape limitations. Cheers!