Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ignacio.sanchis
Lurker
Liked: never

New feature suggestion - File to Tape from Backup file

Post by ignacio.sanchis »

We have some customers that have a big FileServer. The VM is backup up with a 'Backup to Tape Job' that copy the vbk file to tape. When they need to restore a single file from tape they have to restore the entire vbk to disk or the entireVM to storage production.
It would be nice to do a 'File to Tape Job from Backup' in order to be able to restore a single file from tape in those situations.
I think is now posible with some scripting but it would be nice to do it throw the console.

Best regards
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: New feature suggestion - File to Tape from Backup file

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello and welcome to the community forums ignacio.sanchis.

Mind my asking, would it be possible for you to backup you file server via file to tape job instead of placing entire backup file to tape? Thank you!
ignacio.sanchis
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by ignacio.sanchis »

Hi Dima,

Thank you for reply!

I have done that in some situations, but it requires to take the files from production and installing the transport service. So, in some cases, we will be taking the backups two times.

To put a use case. Imagine that you have the production servers in one location and the backups in a different one (including the Tape Library), all that connected with a "low bandwidth" connection. If you do a "file to tape job", you have to copy the entire FS over that connection. But if you do it from backups, the limit will be the backup storage or the tape speed.

Best regards
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

In theory you can perform a file to tape job from the backup file by starting the File level recovery which will mount the content of the backup file to your mount host. Then you can create a file to tape job from your mount host using VeeamFLR folder as a source. I believe such approach will not be optimal in terms of performance but you can give it a try and share you results.