Quantum LTO 4 Tape Drive (Tape 1)
- Drive
- Drive 1

Instead of
Quantum LTO 4 Tape Drive
- Drive
-Drive 1
-Drive 2

The problem this creates is that I would like to have tapes inserted into each drive and then when my copy backup jobs runs, it will automatically roll over to the second drive when the first drive is full. With how they're being recongnized now, that is not possible because each drive has its own Media Pool information that the other drive does not see. Any ideas on how to accomplish what I'm trying to do?
mvierling
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Vierling

Re: Question about multiple tape drives

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Mike,

Please contact our support team regarding this issue - they will provide you with the detailed instruction how this can be fixed. Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby mvierling » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:40 pm

d.popov wrote:Mike,

Please contact our support team regarding this issue - they will provide you with the detailed instruction how this can be fixed. Thank you.

I contacted the support team and they said to post in the forums to ask as a feature request.
mvierling
Lurker

Full Name: Mike Vierling

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Mike,
I am sorry, I missed the last line and for me it looked like "Tape library and drives are shown as separate devices" known issue. Currently, yes, media pool is 'attached' to each library and there is no way to accomplish such scenario. However we will look into your case and discuss it with the team - that you for feedback and once again I am sorry for misleading.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Steve_za » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi
Any update on this, I have the same issue. Will it be resolved in v8?

Thanks
Steve
Steve_za
Enthusiast

Full Name: Steve Cooke

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Steve,

The media pool behavior is not going to change in v8, so it is still linked to the tape library. As for the tape drives and medium changer displayed separately in the VBR UI: we enhanced “device tracking” mechanism, but there is no 100% guarantee that this change would apply to all the tape hardware in the field. So we still have the related KB article, which is still a perfect fix: Tape library and drives are shown as separate devices
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Steve_za » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:16 am

Hi
I do not have that registry key? Can I create it manually?
Mine is not a tape library, but 2 individual tape drives connected via SAS.

Thanks
Steven
Steve_za
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:50 am

Steve_za wrote:I do not have that registry key? Can I create it manually?

Yes, you should create it manually.

Steve_za wrote:Mine is not a tape library, but 2 individual tape drives connected via SAS.

Can you elaborate on that? What particular problems you experience? You don't have a tape library, but instead two tape drives? If so, the corresponding article is unlikely to help, as it's primarily concerned with tape library's incorrect recognition.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Steve_za » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:12 am

Ok I created it manually and it didn't change anything.

I have 2 identical, but separate single tape, tape drives, both connected via SAS. Normally in BE or another backup program you would be able to add the tapes from both drives to the same pool, so when the one tape drive got full, it would carry on on the second tape drive, but I can't do this in B&R.

Thanks
Steve_za
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:17 am

As I've said, the said article is unlikely to be helpful, since is supposed to help in situations when tape library is recognized as different devices. In regards to your issue, currently it's impossible to use multiple drives within one media pool and you have to create one media pool per drive. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Steve_za » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:29 am

This is really something that needs to be addressed, as it is a common requirement. I am very disappointed that it will not be resolved in v8 as it now means I need a separate backup product, as my backups will not fit onto one tape.
Steve_za
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:36 am

Your voice is counted. Bear in mind though, that priority is given to top requested features (those typically have several page long topic discussions). However, can you elaborate on how the ability to use multiple drives within same media pool will allow you to fit all your backups to one tape medium? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Steve_za » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:46 am

It wouldn't fit onto one medium, but it would allow me to span to a second tape once the first tape was full, without having to manually change tapes.
I realise most people would have tape libraries for this, but it was a conscious decision on our side.
We didn't want a tape library failing, and to then be stuck with no tape backup what so ever, as this has happened before. So we decided to rather have 2 individual drives so we could continue to back up if one failed.
We just assumed B&R would be able to have tape pools that could span multiple tape drives.

Thanks
Steve_za
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:53 am

Got it. For now the only solution I can think of is to divide existing backup job into smaller ones that might fit into one tape. Then, create one tape job per one smaller backup job and point them to different media pools. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby BDietrich » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:46 am

Hearing that this issue will not be addressed in v8 is quite disapointing. Backup to tape is still a "best practice" and for certain situations mandatory (e.g. legal archiving of DMS content to WORM media).

So please add one customer to the list of people who need to use multiple tape drives (identical or different models/capacities) as a JBOD to automate their backups without turning towards a tape library.

Thanks
BDietrich
Novice

Next

Return to Tape