Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

Questions about "virtual full backup Schedule"

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello ,

Can someone explain me what "virtual full backup Shedule" on an Tape Job does ?

What i think about is that it gives me the solution to have an working vbk File on every Week Tape Backup Media Set . is it right ?
It means that at the end of the Month i have 4 vbks on my 4 Mediasets .

Another Question , what does for Example the VM Backup Job on tuesday evening when i choose "virtual Full Backup Shedule" for tuesday ? Produces the Backup another full vbk ? Needs the Backup Job then longer time ?
How much days should between the Tape Job himself and the "virtual full backup Shedule" ? What is the difference when i choose 1 Day or 4 Days ?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Questions about "virtual full backup Schedule"

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
What i think about is that it gives me the solution to have an working .vbk file on every Week Tape Backup Media Set . is it right ?
Yes. Basically, it creates a full backup from incremental on disk for the set day in this schedule once tape job kicks in.
what does for Example the VM Backup Job on Tuesday evening when i choose "virtual Full Backup Schedule"
Tape job's logic does not affect disks jobs
Produces the Backup another full vbk ?
If you have a .vbk for the virtual full backup scheduled day - full from disk will be placed to tape (no reason to duplicate the same restore point, right?)
How much days should between the Tape Job himself and the "virtual full backup Schedule" ?
A good example over here and my beloved Help Center articles.
What is the difference when i choose 1 Day or 4 Days ?
No difference – up to you.
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

Re: Questions about "virtual full backup Schedule"

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello again ,

We now switch to 30 Tage Forever Incremental Forward VM Backup Jobs with Daily vib Backup to Tape . On Sunday at 04.00 am a new Mediaset is Created . On Sunday at 05.00 an new Backup to Tape Job runs .
Ich shedule the virtual full on tape also on Sunday . Now i have an Mediaset with al of the Week Days with an virtual Full from Sunday Morning . Right ?
But we Plan also an Monthly Backup at the last Saturady of an Month . An on this Backup only an vbk should backuped . But on the Tests we have 2 vbk s . The original from the VM Backup Job and the virtual full to Tape.
Now the Job needs many Tapes and long time because this two vbks to backe up . Is there an Trick that i can backup only one vbk on Tape ?

Michael