Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bct44
Veeam Software
Liked: 29 times

Re: Recycle expired tapes to other pools

Post by bct44 »

+1 for this request, it could be useful.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 62 times

Post by Didi7 »

Petrie wrote: Jan 20, 2014 12:26 pm Hi,

VBR seems to always take new tapes from the pool "free" even if there are expired tapes in the pool (let´s say pool A). This is okay so far, but if another pool (e.g. pool B) requests a tape, there are no free tapes left.
I would like to allow the expired tapes to be recycled from pool A to pool B.

How can I achieve this? If not possible I would have to try to calculate exactly how many tapes are necessary for each pool and cycle and assign them in advance.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Thanks in advance,
Helge
Your voice is heard ;)
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Already. We plan to provided an experimental registry key to enable the desired behavior with upcoming v12 :wink:
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Excellent news since 2014 ;)
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 118 times

Post by matteu »

V12.....
The build we are waiting since 1 year soon !
I hope we can use it soon :)
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Launch event ...

https://go.veeam.com/v12
mma
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Marcel

Post by mma »

https://go.veeam.com/v12

"Mobile phone*
this field is required."

No thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello

I had to answer a similar question in another topic. I wanted to share the registry key here too, just in case someone finds this topic:
veeam_backup_12_0_whats_new_wn.pdf - Page 29
Return expired tapes to free media pools — Create the TapeMarkExpiredMediaFree (DWORD, 1)
value to immediately return any expired tapes into the Free media pool. With this mode, tapes
will no longer be constantly assigned to the same media pool after it expires, which makes tape
management less predictable. However, this also allows you to maximize tape capacity usage
across all media pools
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

I inventoried my Expired tapes. I have about 30 or so tapes already expired. I applied the registry key and rebooted. The tapes are still showing expired.
I wonder if this only goes into effect on tapes that expire after the key is in place but doesn't affect any that have already expired.

Anyone know?
nunciate
Expert

Post by nunciate »

Another thought on this. Is it possible it is only moving tapes to Free when you put them back in the library? My guess is that this is the case since you cannot move a tape to free unless it has a location slot number for the library.

Maybe someone at Veeam can provide some instructions on what to expect with the new functions?
nunciate
Expert

Post by nunciate »

Well, I imported about 20 tapes that all show expired and they still show expired after the import so this clearly wasn't the issue.
I know this is just an experimental feature so hopefully, they can get it working in future updates.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

+1 for that

Long time due for integration into the GUI.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Alan,
Well, I imported about 20 tapes that all show expired and they still show expired after the import so this clearly wasn't the issue.
I know this is just an experimental feature so hopefully, they can get it working in future updates.
Can you please raise a support case and share the case ID with us? Experimental or not - it should be working correctly and investigated if something goes wrong. Thank you!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

Short update here: the logic behind the key enables ability to reuse the expired tapes 'locked' by one media pool with another media pool but unless the tape is reused it's not reflected in the UI and the expired tape remains within the media pool. Aside from that it should work as expected.
christian.naenny
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Christian Naenny

Post by christian.naenny »

veremin wrote: Jan 22, 2014 8:14 am Currently, it's not possible to change this behaviour. Nevertheless, I believe that you can achieve what you're after with little PS scripting in place. The script will check the status of mediums in corresponding media pools, whether they are expired or not, and move the expired ones of free media pool.
I did exactly this in a fairly simple PowerShell script that is started every Monday morning. This script queries for the expired tapes and moves them to the Free pool.
If anyone wants this script, just let me know. I will gladly share it!
But I still would like the option for a Media pool to enable the automatic re-assignment of the expired tapes back to the Free pool!

Cheers
Christian
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 » 2 people like this post

Quote:
But I still would like the option for a Media pool to enable the automatic re-assignment of the expired tapes back to the Free pool!

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, long overdue 10 years later!

Btw, you are from Switzerland! Baar is a must visit! Maybe things speed up then! :lol: :wink: :D
nunciate
Expert

Post by nunciate »

I use this PowerShell script every Monday. It removes any tapes expiring that week from Inventory. When I import those tapes back into the library they are in an unknown state so I can move them to free.
I keep track of all my tapes in a separate spreadsheet anyway so I know exactly what tapes to place in the csv file to be removed. The csv file is just a list of tape labels. No header or anything.

Code: Select all

Add-PSSnapin -Name VeeamPSSnapIn -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
$tapes = Get-Content -Path "C:\Admin\Scripts\RemoveTapeMedia.csv"
Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned
foreach ($tape in $tapes)
{
  Write-Host $("Processing Tape {0}" -f $tape)
  Get-VBRTapeMedium -Name $tape | Remove-VBRTapeMedium
}