Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

Replace a tape server

Post by vmtech123 »

This has proved to not be very intuitive.

If I want to replace a tape server, what is the correct procedure, I was hoping to remove to old one, add the new one scan the libary and keep going but that didn't work. I brought the old one back and everything is happy again. Added the new one, but I still can't seem to choose the server that controls it.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Replace a tape server

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Could you please clarify what do you mean when you say that it didn't work? Did you notice an error message or what kind of problem did you face?

Thanks!
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Can you elaborate a bit vmtech123?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

I've followed this procedure with my clients probably dozens of time without issue.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

The procedure explains how to replace the tape device but not the tape server role (so we'll update the guide, thanks!).

vmtech123,

To change the tape server role you need to put the library to offline state (disconnect it from the tape server), then remove the tape server role from Veeam B&R, add new tape server and only then connect your existing tape device to new tape server. All the info about tapes should be preserved. Cheers!
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

Post by vmtech123 »

Thanks for the update.

I actually managed to get it going again last week. The issue was is I had my new servers installed so I powered down the old one and figured I'd just be able to point the tape device to the new Server. I was able to, but it still had ties to the old server causing it to show up as a library along with individual drives. I removed all of that, added the old server, then removed the library, added to the new server and so on.

This would be concerning if a server ever dies, as you can't just reinstall the Tape server and rescan. I guess a support call to Veeam would be in order, but something to consider going forward. The same would go for if you wanted to upgrade the OS on a server and forgot to remove the library first. If you add in REMOVE LIBARY FROM TAPE SERVER as the first step in the manual it would be helpful for next time :)

Thanks again.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the update and glad to hear that you are up and running! We've actually added a dedicated chapter for that Replacing Tape Servers based on your feedback, so once again thanks for pointing this out!