Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

Request for V12

Post by vmtech123 »

I hear that there are some tape improvements with V12

Not sure if this is possible but the ability to "archive" a folder to tape. Lets say I want to clean up a folder on a production SAN. I'd like to just backup that folder to tape at 2 sites, then delete the folder, This way, I can restore the archive would be if I ever need it back to the original or new location. 99% of the time this is just kept for historical reference.

It's essentially File-to-Tape, however, it wouldn't be a job, it would be a one time thing which is why it would be more of an archive instead of a backup or file to tape job.
-Bonus if I can point it to 2 tape libraries at different sites.

Right now, with a file to tape job, I can add a folder, back it up, then the next time remove that folder from the job and add another one etc. I have to do it manually at both sites. As long as I have the pools retention set to never expire this works, but it's not an ideal solution.

In TSM we have have replicated media pools so a tape will rebuild if there is a failure at one site. In Veeam i'd have to do all that manually with restores and backups.

Having it under a new heading of archives, or somewhere with a structure to restore it would be easier to find.

The functionality is already there, it would just be streamlining the process to have a window to keep track of the data, and eliminate some of the manual work.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Request for V12

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Thanks for your feature request, we count it +1 👍

While requesting archiving functionality is valid (we are doing backup today), the functionality you ask for will not be in V12.

Best regards,
Hannes