Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pronto
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Restore data from incremental backup file

Post by pronto »

Servus Community,

we back up our Veeam backup files (vbk; vib) to tape after two weeks and keep them there for several weeks. Now a directory from these (tape) backups is needed. Since we keep a deletion log, I know exactly when the directory was deleted. Is it then enough to restore just the vib file of that date or do I need to restore the entire backup chain including the last full backup? That would be a huge amount of data that I don't even know where to restore at the moment.

Can I then somehow mount the vib file in the Veeam backup console and then restore individual files and directories from it? The backup in this case is from a physical server and the backup files were not written to the tape with Veeam.

Thx & Bye Tom
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Restore data from incremental backup file

Post by PetrM »

Hi Tom,

If I'm getting right, you copy backup files to tapes using a 3rd-party solution and not Veeam. Anyway, there is no option to use a single .vib as a data source for restore, because it contains only changed data, you'll need to have the entire sequence of all restore points before the .vib to restore to the desired point in time.

Thanks!
pronto
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Re: Restore data from incremental backup file

Post by pronto »

Thanks for the quick information and too bad, now I have to go all the way. Another question: Our setup is still from a time where Veeam could not restore single items from a tape. Has this changed in the meantime and is a single item restore from tape now possible?

However, when I restore the entire backup chain of a physical server, do I import the backup by selecting the vbm in the import process or how does that work exactly? Do I have to create a temporary repository and copy the files into it or how do I do it now? Is there a knowledge base article about this procedure?

Thx & Bye Tom