Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Restore files from tape?

Post by pufferdude »

Say I have two tapes that contain "files to tape" backups from a NAS via VB&R 9.5. Say I want to restore the files on these tapes, without knowing exactly what they are? From what I can tell, VB&R wants me to KNOW what files I'm restoring and choose them via the restore wizard, then it tells me where to find those files (on which tapes)... but that's not what I want to do... I want to simply restore THE FILES on THESE TAPES I have in my possession to a chosen location. Is there a way to get Veeam to do this? I hope I'm just missing the obvious!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restore files from tape?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jim,

You can right click tape media and select properties to see which files are located on tape media. Another option would be to open the Files node in Veeam B&R menu where you can see all the files on tape media. You can also perform a recovery of the desired files via this node by right clicking the file.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Post by pufferdude »

Thanks! I didn't know about the files view and restoring from there gets me mostly what I need in this instance, but unless there's a technical reason it can't be done, it sure seems like an obvious feature enhancement would be to have a "restore whatever files you find on this tape to this location" function.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Jim,

You are welcome. You request still makes perfect sense to me, so consider you vote being added to this improvement request. Cheers!