Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

Restore VM from expired Tape

Post by agrob »

Good Day

I have a set of tape on which the protection is expired. The tapes are not overwritten.
If i go to Tape Infrastructure -> Media Pool - select on of the expired Tapes, i still can see which backup files (VM Backups) are on this tape.

If i start the restore wizard, those expired tapes are not listed. So i'm not able to directly restore a vm from this expired tape to the vmware infrastructure.
The only way i found is to select the expired media and select restore content. there i'm only able to restore the backup files to Disk.

Question: is there any possibility to restore a vm from a expired tape directly to the vmware infrastructure whitout stage it first to disk? (catalog the expired tape did not help as the protection is still expired -> other vendors have the possiblity to catalog and set a new expiry date, so the cataloged items will be keept again in the Database so it can be selected for restore)

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Restore VM from expired Tape

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I don't see a documented limitation https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120 and suggest to double check with support. Please post the case number for reference.

Thanks,
Hannes
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Thank Hannes, I created a case #06109455
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Found solution by myself. Seems that i made a mistake or something last time.
we need to catalog the expired tape so that the needed data is written to the VBR DB. then a normal VM Restore can be done. Don't know why i have not seen the vm in the restore option the last time i tested it before i created the post.