Using tape as a backup target
martin_nz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Martin

Reverse incremental jobs to forward incremental jobs - synthetic full to tape

Post by martin_nz »

Hello

Earlier this year I converted a reverse incremental job to a forward incremental one and ran an active full. This image is then written to tape as a synthetic full

I have done the same for another job but it’s not writing to the tape as a synthetic full.

Have I missed a step?

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1741 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Reverse incremental jobs to forward incremental jobs - synthetic full to tape

Post by foggy »

Hi Martin, please make sure the job is running forever forward incremental, not just forward incremental - i.e. does not have periodic fulls scheduled.

martin_nz
Enthusiast

Re: Reverse incremental jobs to forward incremental jobs - synthetic full to tape

Post by martin_nz »

Hi Foggy
All of my job settings are set to be forever full incremental.

Funny thing happened - on Friday night when my tape backup ran the backup file was ignored so wasn't written to tape but when I kicked off a test backup today the backup created a synthetic full for tape and wrote it to the tape as good as gold. Is this normal behaviour?

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1741 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hard to say, it's too little information to judge. If you feel it doesn't work as expected, feel free to open a case to review your setup closer.

jasonede
Service Provider
Liked: 10 times

Post by jasonede »

We've noticed this after upgrading to version 10 too... Our backups to tape are writing incrementals not full backups. All of our backup jobs are forever forward incremental.

martin_nz
Enthusiast

Post by martin_nz »

I have logged a job - 04285741
It wrote one synthetic full and since then it hasn't done it

martin_nz
Enthusiast

Post by martin_nz »

I haven’t had much success after logging my case. My files are not backing up to tape as I expect them to

martin_nz
Enthusiast

Post by martin_nz »

jasonede wrote:
Jul 15, 2020 10:10 am
We've noticed this after upgrading to version 10 too... Our backups to tape are writing incrementals not full backups. All of our backup jobs are forever forward incremental.
Hi Jason - have you managed to resolve this?

jasonede
Service Provider
Liked: 10 times

Post by jasonede »

We have a case open. In the process of resolving. Should know in a few weeks.