Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rleon
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: RLeon

SAN Zoning to share Tape Drives between multiple Tape Servers

Post by rleon »

Hi,

Please refer to this diagram:
https://imgur.com/1dVG0tE

I understand Scenarios 2&3 are not currently supported by Veeam.
A customer has been using another solution which allowed Scenarios 2&3. The benefits are:
1. Single Tape Library logical partition, single Control Path, simplified configuration.
2. All Data Tapes are accessible to all Tape Servers. If a server is down/failed, the tapes it wrote to are still accessible to other Tape Servers for continue writing or restore jobs, without having to manually change the Tapes' Partition membership.
3. During monthly tape ejections, the number of "partially full" tapes are minimized. (I.e., the more Partitions, the more "partially full" tapes will exist at any given time, the more total number of tapes will need to be ejected each time.)
4. A Tape Server can dynamically utilize more LTO Drives for read/write whenever it detects that other Tape Servers are idle and not using the Drives.

I just want to check to see if there are plans to support those Scenarios or use cases in future versions.
Some customers will stick to Tape no matter what. (For large, cheap capacity, air gapped security, ransomware immunity, etc.)

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SAN Zoning to share Tape Drives between multiple Tape Servers

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
thanks for your feature request. We are aware of the advantages of library sharing. It's a request many customers have. So please take your request as counted +1

As for now it's too early to talk about implementation plans.

Best regards,
Hannes
rleon
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: RLeon

Re: SAN Zoning to share Tape Drives between multiple Tape Servers

Post by rleon »

Alright, thanks. Hope we get this soon.