Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
McFarTech
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Craig McFarlane

Schedules

Post by McFarTech »

Guys. I am looking to pick your brains. I want to setup a monthly tape job but ive got my self a bit confused along the way.

Lets say in this example

1) Backup Job A runs every night at 8PM (weekly backup on Friday)

2) Copy Job A using Periodic copy has the copy every 1 days starting at 00:10. The target is to keep 31 restore points , 8 Weekly (Friday) and 84 Monthly (last Friday of the month)

What I would like to then do is schedule a monthly tape job to run automatically. This is where I am getting a bit confused.

On the Tape Job under Media pool there is a Full Backup schedule. Based on the fact my backups run Friday night do I set this to also run on a Friday night or Saturday? Whats the best day based on the above to run the monthly job?

Thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Schedules

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Craig,

Generally tape job with full + incremental backup writes all the backups from disk to tape (i.e. it will collect all the data created prior it's start time and tape it out). However, you can control what backup chains should be written to tape. During the tape job initial start it can either write entire backup chain or only the latest backup chain (there is a dialog prompt for that whenever you created a backup to tape jobs). Additionally, you can enable the checkbox under advanced settings to process latest backup chain only all the time.
On the Tape Job under Media pool there is a Full Backup schedule. Based on the fact my backups run Friday night do I set this to also run on a Friday night or Saturday? Whats the best day based on the above to run the monthly job?
You can set it to run after the job (there is an option in schedule) or set the next day in case you want to be sure that specific restore point for the needed day lands the tape. Otherwise it will be processed in the next tape job run. Cheers!