Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

setting up new tape library

Post by ejenner »

Got a strange thing to try and configure and finding it problematic.

I have a Spectra Python 2000 connected to B&R machine through fiber.

It shows up in Veeam as three separate entities.

1. Spectra Python 2000 = shows the 80 tapes assigned to this partition
2. IBM Ultrium-TD5 (Tape 1)
3. IBM Ultrium-TD5 (Tape 2)

From what I can tell the Spectra is the controller and the 2 IBM tape drives will write to the tapes when Spectra feeds them.

The problems are as follows:

1. If I set Spectra as the Media pool for a file to tape job I get the following error: "Tape library assigned to media pool job name does not contain any enabled tape drive".

In response I have attempted to find a way of adding one or both of the IBM Ultriums to the 'Drives' section under 'Spectra Python 2000'. But I can't see a way of doing that.

2. Not being able to move the drives to the library node I have tried it the other way. Move the media to the tape drives. But the free tapes show as being associated with the Tape Library Spectra Python and can't be moved?

No doubt this is me doing something stupid so I'm not going to open a support ticket as I'm sure it's easily solved. If anyone has any ideas let me know.
ejenner
Veteran

Re: setting up new tape library

Post by ejenner »

This is another way of looking at it. You can see the IBM drives have a drive but no media. The Spectra has no drives but 80 tapes!

tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin » 1 person likes this post

Did you install the latest drivers for the library like discussed here : post95715.html#p95715

Highly recommended to open a support case. Something tells me they have a regkey for linking those drives to the library manually but not 100% sure. Again best to check with them.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

EJ,

Indeed, make sure that you are running the correct drivers not only for the changer but for all the drives as well. The information about the drives in the library is being transferred via driver (basically, we represent in the UI the way how it's being detected by the Windows device manager). Additionally, try disabling SCIS commands in the tape library properties: it's not required if you have correct Windows drivers unless tape device is not being displayed as Unknown Medium Changer in the device manager. Cheers!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner » 1 person likes this post

Dima was right. Disable SCSI commands on the Spectra Python library and after a short time the Tape Infrastructure updates and the drives go under the Spectra Python rather than being listed as separate devices.