Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
C_J
Novice
Liked: never

Tape backup failures (& questions)

Post by C_J »

Hi,

I am a new to Veeam and have a question about tape backups.

Using Veeam 9.0.0.1491
We backup to disk daily 25.5TB of data, using incremental backups with an Active full created every Friday.
The incremental job takes ~2.5hrs, the Active full ~13hrs.
We do weekly backups to tape on Sunday of the Active Full (Friday) and 2 endponits When the tape backup runs it takes ~110hrs.
My questions:

Recently we have been getting failures with the tape backup.

"Error timed out waiting for source job to complete". Does this mean that Veeam cannot run a tape backup at the same time it's doing incrementals to disk? My (probably incorrect) thinking is that the Saturday incremental to disk needs to look at the Friday Active full to workout which blocks have changed. Then the Sunday incremental looks at the Saturday incremental. And so on. So by the time the Sunday incremental has run I should be able to backup the Friday Active full to tape?????

"changes in source backup files detected, rescan required";I have no idea what causes that error, or what it means.

I have been advised to break up the tape job so that it runs between the backups to disk, but that would be a management nightmare. I guess my question is; can Veeam backup all this data to tape while still doing its nightly disk backups, and if so how???

Thanks!

CJ
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Tape backup failures (& questions)

Post by Shestakov »

Hi CJ and welcome to the community!
C_J wrote:"Error timed out waiting for source job to complete". Does this mean that Veeam cannot run a tape backup at the same time it's doing incrementals to disk? My (probably incorrect) thinking is that the Saturday incremental to disk needs to look at the Friday Active full to workout which blocks have changed. Then the Sunday incremental looks at the Saturday incremental. And so on. So by the time the Sunday incremental has run I should be able to backup the Friday Active full to tape?????
What backup method do you use, simple or reverse incremental? In a case of reverse incremental the issue is expected due to merge of source files during tape backup run.
C_J wrote:I have been advised to break up the tape job so that it runs between the backups to disk, but that would be a management nightmare. I guess my question is; can Veeam backup all this data to tape while still doing its nightly disk backups, and if so how???
Do you perform disk backups on weekend or only during the business days?
Thanks!
C_J
Novice
Liked: never

Post by C_J »

What backup method do you use, simple or reverse incremental? In a case of reverse incremental the issue is expected due to merge of source files during tape backup run.
The disk backup uses simple incremental.
Do you perform disk backups on weekend or only during the business days?

Disk backups are done daily, these are incremental except on Friday when we do an Active Full. The tape backup is done weekly on Sunday.

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

If it`s a simple incremental job without any merges, tape-backup job should not be interrupted when new increment appears on the source site, so I would contact technical support to investigate the issue.