Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Tape backup job in idle

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Folks,

I previously had some problems with a few backup copy jobs, so I disabled the tape backup job temporarily so it wouldn't start, and when I enabled it again it started, but after just a few seconds it went to status "Idle" with the message "Some tasks require retry". And it has been sitting there for a couple of hours when I write this. The job is supposed to start at 10:30 AM on the first Monday of the month, and this has been working fine until now. The source of the tape job is the backup copy repository, so the latest full backup file of each backup copy job should be copied to tape.

Any ideas? Will the job wake up eventually and start working?

Edit: Just now I saw the job starting, and said "Processing tasks", but after a few seconds it went to idle again with "Some tasks require retry". It hasn't done anything yet.

Regards,
PJ
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Tape backup job in idle

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The only idea which comes to my mind is to make sure that the source backup copy job successfully created its latest restore point and there are no errors reported for the latest backup copy run.

In general, it makes sense to take a look at debug logs to determine the tasks which require retry operation, it would be best to contact our support team and to ask our engineers to analyze logs. Please paste the support case ID over here for our reference.

Thanks!
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Re: Tape backup job in idle

Post by perjonsson1960 » 2 people like this post

I may have figured out why the tape job didn't actually do anything; The job was set to start on the first Monday of the month at 10:30 AM. But the job was disabled until about 10:45 when I enabled it again, so perhaps it got confused since the start time had already passed when I enabled it. So instead I initiated an "Active Full -> Monthly", and then the job started backing to tape in a normal fashion.

PJ