Tape Jobs Schedule enhancements

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Tape backup Schedule exclusions

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi, Jonathan,

Kindly, check the script provided above and see whether it meets your expectations.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby DBecker » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:45 pm

I have tried the PowerShell scripts listed above. The Disable All worked... once. The Enable All will not work. This was running it manually. When I tried to schedule it, it kicked off at the right time but did nothing, and when I checked the Job in Task Scheduler, its status was "Running." And it stayed that way until I manually stopped it.

I am running Veeam B&R 9.0 and Windows Server 2012R2.
DBecker
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Doug Becker

[MERGED] Tape Scheduling

Veeam Logoby rreed » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:57 pm

Afternoon, all. We use a bunch of File to Tape jobs to archive our backup files to tape. I'd like to run the jobs in a particular order, so I simply set the first job at say 9:00 (Incremental Backup, Run incremental backup automatically at this time), the second one at 9:01, third 9:02, etc. thinking they would fire in that order, with each job waiting for the last one to finish, keeping the order of Next Run.

They don't, they seem to fire in I'm not sure what order, but certainly isn't by Next Run/schedule as indicated above. I would say randomly, though it might not exactly be random since we only fire tape backups once a month and I haven't noted if there's a pattern in their execution order. I just know it certainly isn't in order I would like. v9u1, if that helps.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
rreed
Expert

Liked: 72 times

Re: Tape Scheduling

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi,

Thinking they would fire in that order, with each job waiting for the last one to finish, keeping the order of Next Run.
The easiest way to achieve what you are after is to use a post-job script for each File To tape job that will trigger the next job to start after the previous one has finished.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 245 times

Veeam Logoby rreed » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:42 pm

Very good, I suppose. Any chance the scheduling will get fixed in an update or future version? Or what would be great is to add "After this job" like I think Backup and some other job types have. That would be awesome most of all please.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
rreed
Expert

Liked: 72 times

Veeam Logoby PTide » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:16 am

Any chance the scheduling will get fixed in an update or future version?
Not in v9.5 for sure, maybe later.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 245 times

Veeam Logoby Didi7 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:35 pm

Quote Dima P:
» Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:16 pm
Hello to all,

Thank you for the great feedback - we will look in to the possibility of improving the scheduling for backup to tape jobs. Meanwhile, you could use the groundbreaking scripts from the Veeam PowerShell Guru :wink:

**************************************************************************************************************************************

More than 3 years later, what actually has changed regarding scheduling mechanisms for tape jobs? Several times users complain the lack of feature to schedule 'File to Tape jobs' with the scheduler option 'After this job' including me!

Will this finally be possible in VBR v9.5 or do we have to wait another year, if at all?

Regards,
Didi7
Using Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 2 on every backup server here!
Didi7
Expert

Liked: 15 times

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:50 am

Hello Didi7,
There will not be a UI feature to disable tape jobs for Christmas or any other weekend however tape scheduling will be improved in v9.5
You will have an option to delay source jobs start if tape jobs are still processing backup files, rather than stopping the tape jobs.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 393 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby Didi7 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:20 am

I will have a closer look, as soon as 9.5 is available.
Didi7
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:28 am

Will this finally be possible in VBR v9.5 or do we have to wait another year, if at all?

Nope, "after this job" files to tape schedule option won't be included in 9.5. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Re: Tape Jobs Schedule enhancements

Veeam Logoby Didi7 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:58 am

Is this so difficult to include? Maybe in the first update? I have the impression, that a lot of users asked for this option browsing the forum or is this not on the top list? You know, putting additional stuff on tape beside the actual *.vbk and *.vib stuff, is necessary as well and to guess, when B2D-jobs are finished, is not a nice option.

Regards,
Didi7
Didi7
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:30 am

Is this so difficult to include?

It's not always about underlying difficulty, but rather about priority given to more demanded functionality. Also, this schedule gap can be easily bypassed via simple PS script.

Maybe in the first update?

First update is more about fixing crucial issues, rather than adding new features. So, I wouldn't expect it implemented in Update 1.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Didi7 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:46 am

:cry:
Didi7
Expert

Veeam Logoby Blue407 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:12 pm

I too would like to see the ability to eclude certain days from a backup job, only for tape in my case.

Its only a simple calendar thats required with the option to exlcude certain dates you select, it really shouldn't be a major job to add it.

Sorry, but PS scripts and scheduling them is not a valid solution, we need a proper GUI option. I can see requests dating back over 6 years for this feature.
Blue407
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:50 pm

Hello, Paul!
Among main reasons why the feature is not implemented yet, that we had not much of requests in the mentioned years and there is a powershell-based workaround.
Thank you for the request, more we have, earlier the feature is to be released.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 393 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

PreviousNext

Return to Tape