I'm currently trying to optimize the daily cycle of my backup to tape jobs.
I have 2 sites : a datacenter and a local site.
In the Datacenter, I have the main backup server that manages every jobs with a large repository.
On the local site, I have another server that is used as a backup copy repository and that is connected to a library with 2 drives.
My backups jobs are done on daily basis to the first server, then a backup copy job replicates the data to the secondary server, and finally there is a backup to tape job that uses the backup copy as a source.
I want to improve the delay between the end of the backup copy job and the beginning of the backup to tape job.
One example :
- Backup copy job cycle starts at 05:00
- Backup job starts at 19:00 and finishes at 23:00
- Once the backup job has ended, the backup copy job replicates immediately data to the local site.
- At 01:00, the replication has ended and the merge begins.
- To backup to tape from the backup copy job, I need to wait the end of the backup copy job cycle (5:00), otherwise the vib are not available. So I scheduled the backup to tape at 06:00.
Do you think there is a way to reduce the delay between the end of the backup copy job replication and the beginning of the backup to tape ?
I don't understand why vib files are locked until the end of the backup copy job cycle, even if there is no more replication running.
Thank you for your help.