Tape from Backup Copy - most recent point ignored

Everything about backing up to tape

Tape from Backup Copy - most recent point ignored

Veeam Logoby skrause » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:02 pm

I have been noticing this for a while now and it is getting to be annoying. When you use a backup copy job as a source job for Backup to Tape jobs, the most recent restore point is always ignored with a message "no restore point for {date&time} available, using previous restore point". In the case of new copy jobs that have just the initial full, this results in it ignoring the source job entirely and "succeeding" without copying any data.

I thought maybe this was because the job had the most recent point locked while waiting for the next interval to start so I disabled all my copy jobs before running the tape job and it still ignored the most recent point.

We run our copy jobs on a 1 week interval to keep 5 weeks of restore points in a secondary location which happens to have our tape library connected to it for our monthly tape jobs.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
skrause
Expert

Liked: 45 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: Tape from Backup Copy - most recent point ignored

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:56 am

That's by design. More information can be found in the User Guide:

If the source job is backup copy job, keep in mind that the last restore point of the backup copy job stays active until the next restore point is created. The tape job does not copy such active points, because they may be updated. For this reason, the backup chain on tape will be always one restore point shorter than on disk.

So, the best idea would be synchronize both start time of tape job and start time of new sync interval of backup copy job.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 969 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby skrause » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:22 pm

Does it treat GFS restore points the same way? We purchased some additional backup storage and may have enough space available to hold GFS points but if it ignores the most recent point that again will cause us issues.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
skrause
Expert

Liked: 45 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:15 pm

You mean GFS restore points created by backup copy job? Nope, most recent GFS restore point won't be ignored, because it's not the point that will be modified within currently opened interval. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 969 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Tape