Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
cc_apo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Craig

Tape job warning because drive needs cleaning?

Post by cc_apo »

Hi,

Small one really but is there really a need to mark a whole tape job as "Completed with warnings" because the drive needs cleaning? Particularly when there's a cleaning tape available in the library?

It prompts unnecessary investigation and also messes with our stats as the job isn't picked up as a success. Is there a way to ignore the tape drive alert from being part of the job?

Thanks...
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape job warning because drive needs cleaning?

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Craig.

Warning will be displayed whenever you use automated drive cleaning feature within Veeam B&R and there is no way to disable this warning. It should go away after drive cleaning is performed by the next job run. That said, I will note a feature request based on your post. Thanks!
cc_apo
Novice
Full Name: Craig

Post by cc_apo »

Thanks. As you say, the job completes successfully on subsequent backups. I just don't feel that there's a need to mark a full job as 'Warning' when I'm really only concerned that the data has been saved successfully to tape which is the whole point of the job.

I understand the need to alert users when drives need cleaning (particularly if there's no cleaning media in the library) but think that this should be done outside of the tape job.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Craig,

Thank you for sharing your idea, we will discuss it with the team. Cheers!
L0g333
Novice

Post by L0g333 »

Thank You! I am having the same Problem at some customers sites.

I have some customers, who have backup to tape jobs, that only run once a quater, Sometimes it happens that exactly after this job a cleaning is necessary. In the end the job has the state "warning" for 3 months, which makes our monitoring solution to have an alert for the whole backup for 3 months! And that makes monitoring very complicated. I had a customer with the main backup job disabled for 6 weeks, because nobody recognized that the job was disabled. Veeam didn't send an e-mail (i am getting only e-mails for failures not for success messages) for the disabled job and the monitoring was on alert for 2 months anyway, so nobody recognized the backup wasn't running for 6 weeks......
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi L0g333.
I had a customer with the main backup job disabled for 6 weeks, because nobody recognized that the job was disabled. Veeam didn't send an e-mail (i am getting only e-mails for failures not for success messages) for the disabled job and the monitoring was on alert for 2 months anyway, so nobody recognized the backup wasn't running for 6 weeks......
We have a solution in VeeamOne to address this issue now: Job Configuration Change Tracking can help you to keep an eye on backup job configuration changes, worth checking. Cheers!
wayne7215
Influencer
Liked: 7 times

Post by wayne7215 »

Hi Dima

How was the outcome of this Team discussion? We face the same annoying Warnings just because the Cleaning Tape was needed. The Job completed successful but still we get the Job "Backup to Tape Monthly" finished with warning.

Thx
Wayne
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Wayne,

We agreed that this improvement makes sense but so far we have no resources to implement it. This feature remains in the potential improvements list. Cheers!