Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dirtydave
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Bliss

Tape Library, how to control order that tapes are written

Post by dirtydave »

I have a tape library with 4 drives and 48 slots. All my tapes are in one media set. I use about 15 tapes a weekend and send them off-site and reuse them in 5 weeks unless they are a monthly backup and then they get reused after 6 months. I run my tape backups over the weekend and disk to disk during the week. It seems like Veeam will always pick the tape with the lowest barcode to use next. I would like to control the order of how the tapes are used. I have tapes that don't ever get used because they have a larger barcode. If I limit the number of tapes in my library to force them to be used I may be short on tapes and need to add some on Monday morning to complete a couple of jobs.
I would like to use "First in, First out" or use the tapes in the order the slot they are loaded in.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Dave
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape Library, how to control order that tapes are writt

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Dave,

You can assign specific media to the media pool in the media pool Properties at the Tape step. You can also unchecked the 'auto refill' checkbox, so media pool won’t take any media from the free media pool . The tape selection inside custom media pool is described in this thread, please let us know if it works for you. Thanks!